Cooking for 50!

Pedroski

Me and the family are going off on a family camp in couple of weeks. Altogether there will be about 50 of us. I've volunteered to buy and cook the Sunday night meal as our payment for food for the rest of the 5 days we are there. Was thinking of knocking up a massive chili, but got pipped to the post by a friend who is cooking on Monday night!

So..... I'm friendly with my local butcher and am thinking of doing flank or bavette steak, maybe stir-fried and dished with noodles, or maybe marinaded and cooked over charcoal, then thinly sliced and dished with spuds of some sort, and veg or salad. Flank steaks are mahoosive and work out well price-wise.

What you think? Any other suggestions?

Yours worryingly!

Pedro

I'd thought about going the curry route.....but kind of fancy something a bit more adventurous. The place we're staying at has full cooking facilities in a kitchen hut (several commercial ovens, massive gas rings etc), but the idea of spit roast pig is making my mouth water even though I've just had dinner! There is a huge fire pit that we use for a massive bonfire on the last night. I'm tempted to use that but not sure, what with kids running about.

Meal is for Sunday evening, so maybe an early start Sunday and I'll supervise it :)

I'd thought about going the curry route.....but kind of fancy something a bit more adventurous. The place we're staying at has full cooking facilities in a kitchen hut (several commercial ovens, massive gas rings etc), but the idea of spit roast pig is making my mouth water even though I've just had dinner! There is a huge fire pit that we use for a massive bonfire on the last night. I'm tempted to use that but not sure, what with kids running about.

Meal is for Sunday evening, so maybe an early start Sunday and I'll supervise it :)

Well there you go then hog roast it is. Kids should be ok near it shouldn't they? If they know the bonfire area is dangerous anyway. All you need is some metal poles to hold the pig up or cut it up and use foil and place in hot stones and allow to cook, throw in some Bradley apples with it.

Done this a short while ago when camping for the weekend with the family. Only problem was no one wanted to get up and go home after as we all had full bellies. :thumbup: