Thoughts please on this Oak

kentjames

Hi all

Today I was at one of my usual garden maintenance jobs and noticed this oak down near the composting area with a significant crack in the bark.

To me it looks like it could be possibly drought related but since the other trees are fine I thought it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others. I notice also the double swelling on the trunk?

The tree is fairly skinny and doesn't offer much amenity value so if its dangerous to the owner then it can be removed, thoughts from everyone please?

James :thumbup1:

photo0265.jpg.f1a4a058618dda8e132041c09fd3d578.jpg

To me it looks like it could be possibly drought related but since the other trees are fine I thought it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

&No idea how that happened!

I notice also the double swelling on the trunk?

&Strange that, looks to be well sealed on the outside--how is the inside?

The tree is fairly skinny and doesn't offer much amenity value so if its dangerous to the owner then it can be removed, thoughts from everyone please?

&Could be bolted easily enough; could we see the whole tree, and the root flare?

:confused1:

Have you had any strongish gusts (25mph +) in the past 24 hours? How high is crown above the other trees and is it exposed in comparison (i.e wind tunnel effect)? The double swelling may be just growth belts but it may the early signs of a brown rotter (chicken of the woods,etc) having a play IMO.

No gusts of note recently and the tree is no higher than the other 5 which form the group of trees in the area. Im afraid I dont have any more pics of the tree, the root flare is minimal, the soil level hasn't been raised to my knowledge either. The tree is rather one sided as they are part of a group of trees, overall the health of the foliage seems good but no aerial inspection has been made.

Thanks, James

Id say a long time back when the tree was a weaner it had lower limbs removed and the tree has built up internal tension thats been released due to something recent either the moisture contrasts we have had this year of the gusty weather. Dont quote me on this because Im only having a stab in the dark :blushing:

If I dont say what I think then I cant be corrected and learn :001_cool:

If I dont say what I think then I cant be corrected and learn :001_cool:

Very true Jammy

I guess we just put this down to the weather :confused1: we have, as you said, had huge differences in our weather down south.

I will continue to monitor the tree as i go there every fortnight anyway and let you all know of any developments :thumbup1:

• 9 months later...

Update time on the Oaks

Advice please :confused1:

Regarding the splitting on the tree above, over winter a section of bark has completely de-laminated from the tree and has callus tissue now lining the 'wounded' area. The wood beneath is solid and shows no evidence of decay. The swelling below the wounded area doesnt seem to have worsened in this period.

Any thoughts on if this is a long term issue and what, other than drought, may have caused it?

There are also two other trees in the immediate area which have the exact same issue with them. All three are in a small copse at the end of the garden and whilst they are nothing to look at individually they do provide some shade and value that way.

However bottom line is, visiting young children and the client walking in the garden - Should we recommend action?

Key to the Pics:

1 - the wounded area on the original tree

2 - the bulge on the original tree

3 - the original tree to the right of the wheel barrow, second to the left of the barrow

4 - 2nd tree same issue

5 - 3rd tree same issue

6 - 3rd tree canopy shot.

Thanks, James :thumbup1:

photo0454.jpg.a099d757432e9aa1e123829609463303.jpg

photo0452.jpg.0b1276aa49b348311d27c83b9801212e.jpg

photo0451.jpg.0707fee667b175f4b61287598f61b813.jpg

photo0453.jpg.8ffb8dc33461a184674a4f2866a9a5b2.jpg

photo0455.jpg.26e420810d23e85b59cf9ceeb89e44ac.jpg

Photo0450.jpg.5fa0f4952b7c4d21509170d1a67ef464.jpg

Frost cracking, and where I am there is a 18" wide oak with 1ft bark strip keeping the whole tree alive, it's been like that over 5 years (it's actually been like that for much longer)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Small copse at the end of the garden, 3 other trees showing same problems. Well the detective in me would say the chances of 3 having almost identical issue with what looks like similar sized proportions is not likely to be a natural occurance.

Small copse at the end of the garden...... I'm going to say radiative heat damage from a fire James you know the site would the position of the damage to the 3 trees possibly tie in with a fire sometime ago?