Weight for it!!

Matthew Storrs

Just brought myself an zetor 4x4 7045 (70hp), for which im going to use with a post knocker (1 ton) on the back amongst other things.

Heres the thing- it needs new front tyres so im wondering whilst im at it is it worth having them water ballasted to give a bit more weight up front. I know nothing about this so some pros and cons would be good. Of course i could put some standard front weights on but im planning on having a largish steel tool box made up to carry saws and fencing tools etc. this will hang on the front so the weights will get in the way.

So any info/experiance on water weight would be great!

Thanks, Matt

Whatever u do put anti-freeze in it if u go down that route. Myself I would make a frame/bracket that would let u have weights on but also a box on front of weights, if make box rectangular then won't protude to far in front. Am not keen on water ballasting as I find it takes some of the tire cushioning away so would get a solid ride.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I used to sell Zetors in a previous life. The 7045 is a bombproof tractor, just the job for you TCD.

If I remember correctly, the front tyres are something like 11-24 size. These will add about 125 kg of weight each to the front on a 75% max fill.

The downside is that the tyre footprint is slightly reduced as the weight is acting on the bottom of the tyre, not on the axle. Traction will therefore also be reduced slightly, but I doubt you would notice the difference.

The tyre will be more prone to shock damage and steering effort may be increased. Tyre wear will be greater due to the slightly more rigid tyre.

The Zetor will not go fast enough to suffer any imbalance , or 'hop'.

As others have said, you will need to antifreeze them, especially where you live, we can usually get away without down here (january 2011 exception)

Always used to use some sort of calcium or salt, which had to be thoroughly mixed and pumped in. Evil stuff it was. More recently used 20% strength of ethylene glycol antifreeze. If you get a puncture you will lose it, and watch out for the Environment agency, especially if you are around the resevoirs.

Might be best to stick to the wafer weights, and hang them on the front, and sides of a good storage box made of 12mm.

good info cheers guys! A tool box made of 12mm steel would probs be a weight in itself! I could get it made to take more add ons. may be a crazy idea but a tool box with a bar purtruding from each side where i could add 20kg cast iron weighlifting discs. 4 on each side plus the toolbox would come to well over 200kg (more than enough for my wee zetor i think)!

Garden Kit- you seem to have alot of zetor knowledge- do you think a 7045 would be ok with a 1ton postknocker on the back around the devon hills?