Driver CPC

Crazy Cutter

Ive posted this under general as in theory could affect all of us?

Can anyone ROG etc be able to explain whether we need it for business use. It would seem those driving anything over 3.5 tonnes, trailer etc for reward will need the ticket or are there forestry get outs etc. I would guess i will need it to deliver logs with the defender and trailer. There doesn't seem to be the exemptions like there was with the trailer tacho law.

And i feel this time i can't stomach it, i'm bored of money making schemes when i ain't making much myself. I would much rather call it a day than have to sit through a five day course to tell me how to driver my land rover safely.

As far as I can tell, you ONLY need CPC if you are a professional bus, coach or lorry driver. Using a vehicle as part of your main work doesn't make you a professional bus, coach or lorry driver. And again, as far as I am aware, a LR and trailer isn't a lorry.

I've just about had it with DVLA at the moment - the "medical experts" that they have who can't even read a letter properly....

Edited by Pedroski

As far as I can tell, you ONLY need CPC if you are a professional bus, coach or lorry driver. Using a vehicle as part of your main work doesn't make you a professional bus, coach or lorry driver. And again, as far as I am aware, a LR and trailer isn't a lorry.

Yes i thought that but other pages state any vehicle or combo over 3.5 tonne for reward. Just was hoping someone in the know would answer, without it turning into the slanging match we had over the trailer tacho!

if you are employed as a driver then you need one. however if you drive every other day assuming you stay on the same job then you dont need a cpc. but if you have 3 or 4 jobs in the same day or it would be the same with delivering logs you will need one.

money money money...

The whole thing looks like it could be a mare. I've just read this on Fleet Risk Consultants Blog, post 153 in the towing section from Nigel (the main man)

"We retain a team of transport lawyers who also prosecute for VOSA, so we can so a bit better than “to the best of our knowledge”.

Not all 4×4 are exempt as ‘Dual-purpose’ vehicles, you still need to check.

The C1 and C licence (HGV) are not based on Unladen weight, but on permissible weight, so a Ford Transit GVM 3,500 kg is Class B and a Ford Transit GVM 4,600kg is Class C1, both have a Unladen weight below 3,500kg.

So Fred cannot drive his Dodge on a B licence he needs a C1.

The exemptions from driver CPC are very limited and in essence if you drive a C, C1, D or D1 vehicle as part of your job, you need to undertake CPC training. I have a company we use for such training which is European Driver Training Ltd, rather than Novodata. But it is personal choice.

One other thing even the HSE and VOSA cannot change the basic rule of law of Innocent until proven guilty, but that is what I do for my clients.

Regards

Nigel"

The whole thing looks like it could be a mare. I've just read this on Fleet Risk Consultants Blog, post 153 in the towing section from Nigel (the main man)

"We retain a team of transport lawyers who also prosecute for VOSA, so we can so a bit better than “to the best of our knowledge”.

Not all 4×4 are exempt as ‘Dual-purpose’ vehicles, you still need to check.

The C1 and C licence (HGV) are not based on Unladen weight, but on permissible weight, so a Ford Transit GVM 3,500 kg is Class B and a Ford Transit GVM 4,600kg is Class C1, both have a Unladen weight below 3,500kg.

So Fred cannot drive his Dodge on a B licence he needs a C1.

The exemptions from driver CPC are very limited and in essence if you drive a C, C1, D or D1 vehicle as part of your job, you need to undertake CPC training. I have a company we use for such training which is European Driver Training Ltd, rather than Novodata. But it is personal choice.

One other thing even the HSE and VOSA cannot change the basic rule of law of Innocent until proven guilty, but that is what I do for my clients.

Regards

Nigel"

My licence is B + E like most people i should think but it needs to be clarified by someone in the know!

I don't know how you come to that conclusion

The list of exemptions is here

Exemptions from Driver CPC requirements | Business Link

And it's as clear as it can be

carries material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the driver's principal activity

So tree surgeons and any other tradesmen who do something other than driving for a living don't need driver CPC.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion

The list of exemptions is here

Exemptions from Driver CPC requirements | Business Link

And it's as clear as it can be

carries material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the driver's principal activity

So tree surgeons and any other tradesmen who do something other than driving for a living don't need driver CPC.

Thanks for that! I do something other than driving for a living and then i deliver a trailer load of logs on the way home does that count?