eBay con?

mikecotterill

A mate of mine sold a motor bike on ebay. The buyer was in cypress and he sent a shipping agent to pick it up, but the agent turned up with cash, my mate still wasn't convinced so went to the bank with the cash to check it was real. It all sounded like a scam but it turned out fine.

The bloke from the shipping company said this chap buys about 10 bikes a week and he picks them up and everyone is suspicious as it just doesn't seem to add up.

Was positive in this case, although I've had bad cases (took someone to court, but did win the case)

I agree that communication seems to be the problem. I think I'd have tried to email him, explain why you don't trust paypal ask him to accept the refund and do a bacs or find some other way of getting cash to you.

I can see both sides.

R

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In his reply the buyer understandably expressed concern about dealing / making payments outside of eBay and PayPal.

I sure as **** won't send anyone a bacs payment for anything bought on eBay.

I felt like that but a fortnight ago i bought a stihl br550 blower and a stihl disk cutter spoke to the chap on the phone who spoke broken English who suggested bank transfer. This made me feel uneasy so i checked his feed back and contacted some of the people he had sold items to who said he was genuine. Paid my money by bacs -15% for direct payment parcels arrive two days later. Some times you have to have faith in people and go on a gut instinct

Some times you have to have faith in people and go on a gut instinct

Yes, frequently a show of faith will pay off, while paranoia is certain to cost you !

Even an ad in a local newspaper with pickup "in person" and cach payment will result in a paranoid feeling that the notes are fake :thumbdown:

The only way of being 100% certain never to get cheated is never to do any business.

haha what a crap mentality. Where would we end up if that were the way of the world? :confused1:

My view exactly!

Did I not make myself clear? The only way to eliminate any possible business risk is to to avoid doing any business. And that IS indeed a crap mentality.

Similarly: The only way to be certain not to make any mistakes, is to never do anything in the first place. But that doesn't get you anywhere either.