Help needed with new truck

gibbon

I am currently running a cabstar and a transit. The cabstar is coming to the end now and I am thinking seriously about upgrading to a 7.5t.

A lot of my work is domestic and LA and the cabstar is great for narrow drives and even backing up paths and cycle tracks.

Can anyone reccomend a fairly narrow 7.5t? Is the Canter or Isuzu much wider than a cabstar?

Also is there any advantage to a 5.5t or 6.2t instead of a 7.5, especially in regard to extending the time between road tests?.

Does anyone use a 3.5t Isuzu and drag a 3.5t tipping trailer? Its hilly in Devon mind

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently running a cabstar and a transit. The cabstar is coming to the end now and I am thinking seriously about upgrading to a 7.5t.

You are probably aware that to upgrade to any LGV ie. a vehicle over 3500kg gvw you will have to have an Operators Licence, depending on what type of work you are undertaking you may get away with a Restricted Licence but in either case you will have to set up the maintenance schedules etc to keep VOSA happy.

If your work comes outside the realms of a Restricted Licence you will also need to either sit your CPC for Road Transport or hire the services of a Transport Manager.

Hope I am not preaching to the converted, if so just tell me to shut up!:fisheye:

u1200 unimog with a tp 200 chipper.

narrower than a narrow thing, loads of gears so you can reverse up a mountain. No more snaking about with toe behind chippers. side tip, no more taking off the chipper.

if you think the chipbox is to small get a 1250.

You'll make a salesman!!!!!:sneaky2::001_cool:

I know I will need an operators licence, thats easily sorted.

I am not convinced I need a unimog. Very rarely need to go off road even on Estate work, and id I do we often spread chips on site.

Its a narrow road truck I am after. Ideally I would like to be getting 12 weekly tests rather than 6 weekly, but don't know the ins and outs of running these things.

I am not convinced I need a unimog. Very rarely need to go off road even on Estate work, and id I do we often spread chips on site.

Its a narrow road truck I am after. Ideally I would like to be getting 12 weekly tests rather than 6 weekly, but don't know the ins and outs of running these things.

I very rarely use the mog off road, it is just such a good compact unit. Where i live it is like the side of a mountain, with loads of small streets and cul de sacs. I used to spend all my time taking the to behind off and turning it round by hand, or getting stuck on a grass verge with the double wheels with the transit. If i had a full load and chipper, the van would be screaming all the time and i would have to take the long way home avoiding hills.

The fuel saving paid my finance. And having a big winch is excellent.

and a descent size chipper. :001_smile:

Your maintenance inspections are upto you you to specify on your licence as long as they are between 4 and I think 12 weeks, the inspection frequency depends on the type of work and the distances the vehicle is doing eg, a timber lorry travelling on forest tracks or a tipper working in building sites and quarries would be liable to shorter inspection periods than a truck that is purely doing clean delivery work round town, and a truck that is doing shift work with 2 or 3 shifts / day will be liable to shorter inspection periods than a truck that is just travelling to site and sitting whilst the day's work is done and then travelling home loaded at night.

What ever you specify on your licence will be monitored by Vosa at roadside checks by the condition of your vehicle and they may advise a change in the inspetion periods if there are problems with the vehicle condition.

Hope this helps.