Customer Splitter

windfall

7ton digger

The ram is maybe 30t, not sure tbh, it looks more than double the size of my 10t splitter. [ATTACH]96586[/ATTACH]

Going to pipe it and test the blade and power tomorrow. So I'll know if a blade rethink is in order.

One thing that jumps out at me is the push plate - the ram is quite high and the slider is quite short in relation. You might find it has a habit of binding a bit but also, it might be worth gusseting the push plate to the slider a bit more too as I have my suspiscions it wouldn't take a lot to crack it off.

Other thing is as someone else said about the side knives, what can happen on shorter lengths is that they open up on the centre knife and mostly miss the side knives if they are set back like that. Is a bit catch 22 as by making the vertical split first it takes some pressure off the side knives rather than trying to split 6 way all in one go.

Hope you don't take that as too negative, other than that it looks good :thumbup1:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent info re working out the force. Thanks.

Chris, I threw the problem out to two plant mechanics, they looked at the problem a different way. Theory is the rams height is central to the knife centre. The small set back knives are a gamble.

All support pieces for the push plate are cut waiting to see how well it works... Or not... Before welding them in place. Ie less to grind off ;-)

It may be its total wank and I have to man up and buy metal rather than using what I can find.

i kept the ram low on mine so the pressure would be less on the slider.... the slider plate has a kind of L plate bolted on either side with a few high tensile bolts, oh a bit late but watch the angle of your knife, too short and thick and it might not work, a long razor sharp one and itll kind of cut timber but can get stuck with the resistance of timber passing it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342022974.027384.jpg.642f9454f3ea3ec749e8296654a71658.jpg

Well, some good and bad came outta today.

I know I have more than enough power to split the chunks I have.

The rsj supporting the blade was not up to the job.

I will be off to the metal shop tomorrow with my child's drawings to get my templates cut from 15mm plate so I can copy Dylan's.

Going to put plate on top of the beam so I have a flat deck and make a standard 4 way knife.

if you need any more pics let me know

if your redesigning it i would lower the ram:make the part of the push plate that slides on the beam longer:when you fabricate the knife slot it into the beam so you get alot more area that is welded(a good weld doesn't fail its the metal around it that does):use 25mm plate for the knife:use cap head bolts as the're stronger as standard than hex head bolts

i would also put a pressure gauge on so you can see what pressure your running at and enable you set the pressure relief valve