Spiderjack 2.1 - Have I knackered it??

Nick Harrison

was in the process of changing the cam over in my Spiderjack 2.1 when I overtightened the grub screw that holds the lever in place...manual recommends a torque setting for securing the grub screw but when I've had this screw out before I've just tightened by hand with no problem (a very small allen key needed to remove this screw and I don't own a torque wrench that operates with such small tools). It seems I was being a bit too heavy handed on this occasion and have now threaded the grub screw so that it no longer bits/stays in position hence the lever cannot be fitted to the main body.

I've attached some pics below to try and explain better....wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if so how they've solved it....my fear is i've knackered it and will have to buy a whole new body/spiderjack? or else find a way of getting the screw to bite and thus hold the lever in place...maybe a bigger grub screw??

any thoughts/advice would be much welcomed...:confused1:

5976610fcf386_photo(1).jpg.1c4e1462761d5b85cc87a9006d2a6a0c.jpg

5976610fd3a59_photo(2).jpg.c4e21e8328bd1ec901e5861e06336ec4.jpg

5976610fd7cb8_photo3.jpg.3540cdb67d32e6ac0ca0bb0447b09388.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting and important thread for us in the Spiderjack Club...the last thing i want is for that to happen to mine so i,m looking at buying a small torque wrench...this one is £75 and is for a bicycle. What is the NM number for the S.J?

don't have the manual to hand so can't say what the NM is, judging by how easily i threaded it I shouldn't think it'll be anything too strong?

Good point about these types of discussions emerging from greater use of the sj's, i've had a couple of niggles and have only been using it for a few months...firstly had issue with the velcro strap, something I think many others have had too, more recently was varying degrees of creep through the cam but I suspect this was probably down to me not operating the sj properly initially (not using the wooden friction block enough)...this last issue with the grub screw has made me start the question whether a sj should be my main climbing set-up?? thing is though, when the sj is working properly it's a treat to climb with!

Very important point you have brought up and the last thing i want is to break my Spiderjack...this is the smallest torque wrench i can find it is a 3/8 torque wrench and tightens from 1 Nm. Think it costs about £30.

£30 bit easier to swallow than £75....assuming the cheaper option meets the NM needed for the sj?