FAO Monkeyd

Albedo

You'll c***m ya pants over this article M'd if you haven't already seen it.

The Tree Surgeon’s Contribution To Forest Health Or 'How I Unlearned Everything I Was Taught' on AIE

Don't know how to do a link. Thought a lot of people would find it interesting so posted a thread rather than pm ya. If the author of the article is on arbtalk then thanks for an interesting read.

http://www.aie.org.uk/index.html

Edited by Monkey-D
added link

Can't say that I've now the need for clean additional under garments, no where near enough gratuitous shots of fractures and coronets for my liking :sneaky2:

I like the way the article gives a human story to the management of a long time neglected Woodland, and how we must see ourselves as part of long term stratergy not just a one time bish bosh chainsaw visit.

Haven't met Paul Goetzee, but will now get in contact to bandy ideas about.

Particularly interested in hearing where info like "It has been estimated that a healthy forest requires somewhere in the region of twenty five decaying trunks per acre of larger diameter trees" is from?

Plus I couldn't agree more with the statement....."Strangely enough, I find it sometimes requires a lot more skill to deliberately cut badly than it does to carry out a conventional cut."

Missed this one completely Paul. Thanks for posting. :001_smile:

First shot is from the above link, where the Tree surgeon is looking at a natural fracture.

Second shot is one of ours from a Monolithed Ash, created earlier this year.

A year or two's weathering will do the trick.

P9010032.JPG.9a067cab6e1997132d3733a4cd7c3320.JPG

DSC00271.JPG.efd06620a0c2a4bf5c200560f07a0745.JPG

I think the top part of the corro needs a bit more practice but the bottoms ( highlighted) are excellent very very natural looking, well done Dave

Quite right my fine northern friend, practice is indeed required (and with it) in time will become..................purrrrrrfection :crazy:

and Ofcourse that's what the bottom parts of the fractures actually are.......................O'Naturel :sneaky2:

Btw, look out for "El loco" with a Big Shot, Night Scope and a stash of hardened chestnuts instead of tea bags,

lurking round the corner during your little "menage a'douzaine" tommorow :wink: :wink:

Btw, look out for "El loco" with a Big Shot, Night Scope and a stash of hardened chestnuts instead of tea bags,

lurking round the corner during your little "menage a'douzaine" tommorow

I'm hoping to be in no fit state to care David :001_tongue:

I have had the dreaded lurgy for the last three days, trots and stomach cramps, I'm hoping the bog is in the next room to where everyone is sleeping so I can share with everyone, I like to crap with the door open :001_smile:

I should imagine it could be quite tricky, if not dangerous making large limbs rip out. You couldn't really strop on anywhere with absolute confidence.

Larger diam fracs = MEWP, without question.

Also comp and tens forces on roots & root plate need to be taken into account, particularly anywhere near targets, when assisted fracturing with ropes/pulleys/winches etc......

Obviously not so important if it's a mono from a live/sound tree being created

Edited by Monkey-D