Climate change- discuss

I've been tempted to write into the Radio 4 programme 'Genius' - BBC - Radio 4 - Genius- About The Programme - for some time now with an idea to fix the CO2 problem.

All we need is a series of solar powered satellites with big pipes to suck up the atmosphere that run fractional distillation plants to separate the air into its component gases. The CO2 is sent out into the universe, the rest is sent back to Earth.

Genius, yeah?

Wouldn't all the trees die...? :001_huh::lol:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've always got to be worrying ourselves sick and blaming ourselves for something.

I have always thought that those who spend their time proselytizing about World's End etc, would be the same people who, in another time (or culture) would be religious zealots exhorting us to feel terrible about ourselves and wear a hair shirt all day.

Ha! One thing is for certain, the worried well always want somebody else to do something about their problems. It's rare to hear someone lobby about their cause by explaining what they themselves need to do.

Perhaps someone could give it a go here?

We are discussing an important issue of the day.

Stumpgrinders post contributes nothing to the discussion and attacks the person and not the argument. On that evidence I assume he hasn't bothered to find out about the issue under discussion.

For you to encourage him in this way Tony ... I'm surprised at you to say the least.

As the above 'attack the argument and not the person' is a quote from you.

As far as your own question goes Tony... I find it hard to believe that I would need to insult your intelligence by answering it. Look at the scale of the action required for a clue.

The tone of this post sounds angry but it is not.

Also although I used to know a lot about the climate change debate this does not automatically mean that I agree with it. I used to know the for and against arguments backwards.

The fact is that the science side doesn't know exactly what is going to happen for sure, because climate is so complex.

Ha! One thing is for certain, the worried well always want somebody else to do something about their problems. It's rare to hear someone lobby about their cause by explaining what they themselves need to do.

Perhaps someone could give it a go here?

Well I know for certain that my path almost certainly lies in a yurt or log cabin on some land where \i grow as much as I can and ensure all my carbon is taken back out of the system I put it into.

For now I stim my grass infrequently and then allow it to grow again as everytime I do this more carbon is put into the soil and more organisms thrive, this year I wil plant some trees which will become pollards for my fuels.

I recycle all that is recyclable but I'm going to start shopping smarter, ive always declined carry bags wherever possible though sometimes I forget my bags for life.

Im going to also re start my veg plot because the air miles on my food is ridiculous, and will buy english apples and raspberries etc for my fruit intake rather than bananas ect.

In time I will install a combi boiler which is a big guilt for me, my system is so old and inefficient.

A couple of hens, a bit of a wild forage to supplement and I reckon i can do 50% minimum of my needs for food.

As for the car, well thats going to take some thinking about, not too sure how Im going to sort that problem out, but a more local job maybe at gristwoods would be a big start:thumbup1: then i could bike it and only use the car for the long journeys I need to do.

I also need to consider my water consumption, need to move to a grey water system some how.

I am sure I can do an awful lot more, just dont know what yet, though easy steps, wean myself of this unearthly dependence

I kinda live ... have lived... will live .... the way you describe Tony C.

But its got little to do with what were on about.... nice for you or me ... but back to Tony S's question. Were talking global scale here not just me and/or thee and our yoghurt weaving skills.

Also it will be easier to keep this thing on one environmental issue.

Edited by Albedo

I kinda live ... have lived... will live .... the way you describe Tony C.

But its got little to do with what were on about.... nice for you or me ... but back to Tony S's question. Were talking global scale here not just me and/or thee and our yoghurt weaving skills.

Also it will be easier to keep this thing on one environmental issue.

WE are the issue Paul, WE are the solution, WE have to do everything WE can, not they US, you me all of us are they, thats the problem we all keep saying what can I do about it, that is a very ignorant and selfish idea.

WE are the issue Paul, WE are the solution, WE have to do everything WE can, not they US, you me all of us are they, thats the problem we all keep saying what can I do about it, that is a very ignorant and selfish idea.

I think most people are relatively ignorant of the complexities of the science involved. This doesn't stop them from holding strong opinions one way or t'uther which bemuses me.

If we actually want to act on this particular issue. In my view Likeitorlumpit has come closest in this thread so far with his views and posts on lobbying the powers that be.

Recycling my lager cans doesn't cut it mate.

There are loads of pressure groups out there, but since I changed my laptop I lost all my links to my favourite ones.

Does someone know the one thats named after the level of C02 they want to achieve?.... I've forgot and been googling and can't find it