Idea to boost work / enquiries

Tom10

'surely the freelancer should allow for fuel within their day rate and also on their tax return'

....of course that would be nice, my day rate was £150/day..I was doing £25 a day in diesel..would you pay £175/day for a climber?...I know I wouldn't!.

The answer is to work locally, trouble is, most of the firms near me are a bit 'rustic'. No aerial rescue cover, no tickets some are not even insured..and the specs for the tree work can be a bit barbaric!...not my cup of tea I'm afraid :(

Leaflet drops have worked for me in the past, the trick is to target certain areas or roads, or to leaflet area's where you are going to work the next week. Also, a nicely produced leaflet rather than a cheaper one which will stand out from the other 'junk mail' the potential customer will have on their doormat!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant idea, i actually noticed a sign today on the side of the road where a local tree surgeon had done a nice landscaping job, :thumbup1:

BUT what about if youve removed a tree, nothing left to see, would you leave a sign there? Top quality crown reduction and thin, can barely see whats been done, the untrained eye would not see value for money, would they? Then, most of my clients would definitely not want a sign outside their gate, of any sort, they dont even have estate agents signs out when they sell, its sooo common dont you know? :thumbup:

FTR, I think a sign is a good idea, Im just thinking out loud. In type. On the web. :001_smile:

I hear what you say, however......If you have removed a tree etc and left the place clean and tidy with no broken fences or greenhouses then its an advertisement for your proffesionalism. Its even better if its a neat tidy conni topping job and its there to be seen though so im also with you on that one.:thumbup1:.

'surely the freelancer should allow for fuel within their day rate and also on their tax return'

....of course that would be nice, my day rate was £150/day..I was doing £25 a day in diesel..would you pay £175/day for a climber?...I know I wouldn't!.

Yes fella, I would. Had a big job on a few months back - climber's rate (he's a very good and fast one) was £180/day. But he had an hour's drive each way in his LR so I bunged him a bit extra for each day he was with me. He gave excellent value for money and we got done in one day what another "pro" climber took two days to do. What I won't abide is paying someone more than they deserve, but if someone deserves a lot by way of the amount he enables us to get done in a day, and by way if his attitude, then I'll make sure he's treated well.

fair one Ped, totally agree. Sadly, too many firms just get good climbers in and use and abuse them, make them do 2 days work in one day, then begrudge paying diesel money. I'm very careful who I work for these days.

Worked for a bloke recently who just kept adding jobs on to the day as I was getting through the work. Late finish in the pouring rain. He's not on my list anymore!.

Now I'm thinking of charging £20/hour for being on site after 1600. I always pay my lads extra for the occasional late one (can't be helped sometimes). Its really putting me off freelancing.