Thinning of a Beech

This was Thursdays job, the customer has just had multi-fuel stoves installed at each end of the house, the chimney which is closest to the beech is not sucking as well as the other is.

We were asked to thin the canopy and target prune away from the chimney to hopefully create some suction.

Here are the before and after pics, ill apologise now for the different camera angles. :thumbup1:

Before:

Beech1.jpg

After:

Beech2.jpg

This was Thursdays job, the customer has just had multi-fuel stoves installed at each end of the house, the chimney which is closest to the beech is not sucking as well as the other is.

We were asked to thin the canopy and target prune away from the chimney to hopefully create some suction.

Here are the before and after pics, ill apologise now for the different camera angles. :thumbup1:

Before:

Beech1.jpg

After:

Beech2.jpg

Excellent job Chris, I think it looks a treat, how long did it take?:thumbup1:

It took 2 1/2 hours in total including traffic control.

The climber was David Robertson, he's in his last year of his ND at Northumberland College. Every year I try and get a college student and he is by far the best Ive ever had. You'd think he'd been climbing for years!

As far as will it help the chimney suck - Im not sure, I hope it will help, what the photo doesn't show is how we target pruned the tree away from the chimney creating a 10ft air pocket.

Personally I think it would have been a lovely tree for a slight reduction if i'm honest but the customer wouldn't go for it. Might try her again in a year or two.

As far as people mentioning that it doesn't look too different, we took out about 10-15% which was enough as its a mature tree.

It took 2 1/2 hours in total including traffic control.

The climber was David Robertson, he's in his last year of his ND at Northumberland College. Every year I try and get a college student and he is by far the best Ive ever had. You'd think he'd been climbing for years!

As far as will it help the chimney suck - Im not sure, I hope it will help, what the photo doesn't show is how we target pruned the tree away from the chimney creating a 10ft air pocket.

Personally I think it would have been a lovely tree for a slight reduction if i'm honest but the customer wouldn't go for it. Might try her again in a year or two.

As far as people mentioning that it doesn't look too different, we took out about 10-15% which was enough as its a mature tree.

Dave's a great climber, tell him ciaran glyde says hi!

Not a bad job, but if I am to be critical. I think he needs to get out a bit further and thin and take less out of the middle.

The limbs over the chimney look a bit lion tailed to me. My first boss would have given me a bollocking for that and mad me step over a few and trim the end.

I haven't seen the job and maybe there was a lack of growth points closer into the stem hence the finished look. Because I havent seen it and your customer is happy then i'll say good job.

My lions tail comments are based on the photo's alone.