Apparently never seen on Horse Chestnut in my area.

Stuartsharp

Just trying to help bridge the communication and culture gap between us warm and friendly fine Southies,

and you cold and heartless Neanderthals T'up north :001_tongue:

This was Mr Southerner Monkeyd trying to infiltrate the Northern Getogether earlier this year, we sused him out and punished him with a bigshot teabag to the gahooners.

597653b2a816b_Getogether2037.jpg.ac688d98ff8087e3eb869bc4864ff520.jpg

Still wince at the thought of it :sad:

Least I wont be needing the vasectomy no more :001_tongue:

Getting back on thread a little..........my gahooners did look considerably like Daldinia concentrica, post Bigshot incident :scared1:

Thinking a bout it, Neanderthals is actually a perfect analogy. :wink:

Edited by Monkey-D

Hi Stuartsharp...welcome.....

When trying to id your mycological finds, you will find it helps to use a key to deduce the culprits real identity...Precisely because the brackets are notoriously wide ranging in their host choice, position on hosts and in color...not to mention a penchant for "now you see me , now you dont" theatrics.......

Classic Fomes.....cheers.

Fantastic photo's, i have a small Fomes fomentarius in my office, but thats alot bigger then mine (no pun's please)....The link to the AIE website is a good start if you want to begin your knowledge of fungi, also try Roger Phillips, although he can get hectic, or ask santa to bring you 'Manual of wood ecay in trees' and/or 'diagnosis of ill health in trees' both very good and species specific...

Hope that helps!

My tutor (Gareth Meadows, Moreton Morrell) recently went to a seminar in Cardiff Museum about Fungi and and trees, and came back with some interesting information.

One of which is quite facinating and would answer why you have found Hoof Fungus down south. It's all to do with the tree allready containing the fungus and having the right conditions to germinate, and with todays climate being warmer and a bit more moist they love it!

I'm going to try and get the report paper from him when I go back in jan and scan it for any that would like to see it.