anyone tow 3.5t regularly with a defender.

Matthew Storrs

defender will do the job but a bit light for 3.5 tonne on hills. If you can stand the fuel consumption an old amazon 4.2 diesel with manual box will be twice the vehicle . Plenty of power and weight to keep things in line. The defender in low box will be screaming at 30 mph. I would avoid poly bushes when towing instead of wearing the bush they wear the metal. We always fit genuine rubbers the disco 2 ones last alot longer. We have a disco 2 van its not great for towing over 2.5 tonne as its too high geared and you have to rev the nuts of the common rail engine or it stalls which can kill the expensive dual mass flywheel.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a JCB 8025 ZTS, with the buckets and some mud on the tracks I am teetering close to 3.5T.

I tow mine to and from central France with a 90 pickup, it's a right ball ache but i've never had any issues. I would much rather do it in a discovery though!

Edited by Nick Watkins

I think the disco would be an excellent tow tug with the transfer box out of a 110 instead of top speed 95 mph it would be about 80 but better set up for towing. The 90 transfer box is even lower. I never really understood the defender thing the cab is not big enough to put decent seats in for long distance work especially at 60 mph.

I think Im going to leave the idea of using the landy to pull a bigger slew. today I had my takeuchi 1.6t mini with postdriver, hydraulic auger buckets etc on the back and I worked out even that with the trailer was just shy of 3 ton. had a load of fencing stakes in the pickup bed too, and I really don't think I want to subject it to much more weight then that if im being sensible. Its one thing in the dry but when its wet going up or down hills im going to have problems I think, the powers there but there just isnt the weight in a defender.

I agree on the suggestion of an Amazon, but if im going to have to run a second vechicle it might as well be a tractor. travel speed is irelevant to me.

I think Im going to leave the idea of using the landy to pull a bigger slew. today I had my takeuchi 1.6t mini with postdriver, hydraulic auger buckets etc on the back and I worked out even that with the trailer was just shy of 3 ton. had a load of fencing stakes in the pickup bed too, and I really don't think I want to subject it to much more weight then that if im being sensible. Its one thing in the dry but when its wet going up or down hills im going to have problems I think, the powers there but there just isnt the weight in a defender.

I agree on the suggestion of an Amazon, but if im going to have to run a second vechicle it might as well be a tractor. travel speed is irelevant to me.

If it helps, I load the buckets & fuel into the back of the Defender (pickup) to add additional weight to it. You will need the HD springs and an adjustable hitch but this helps. I always fancied a 130 but would find it too big for everything else but towing.