Beech, Armillaria?

tree_beard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the client was really concerned/worried I would fell and replant.

If they wanted to retain then a reduction, but maybe a hardish one.

The client is by and large, oblivious to the state of their treestock, that is my concern, generally what i say goes. I'm pro retention, but there are dozens of similar size beech on the property, and we do need to clear the way for planting replacements (the tree stock is all fairly mature)....

choices choices

The client is by and large, oblivious to the state of their treestock, that is my concern, generally what i say goes. I'm pro retention, but there are dozens of similar size beech on the property, and we do need to clear the way for planting replacements (the tree stock is all fairly mature)....

choices choices

I dont like that philosophy, ie what I say goes.

You are there only because of the clients request, you should listen to what they say and advise only if they request it.

Otherwise we are just another pushy salesman.

I never like the idea of tapping up customers whatever guise that may take.

You are there only because of the clients request, you should listen to what they say and advise only if they request it.

Maybe i should have phrased it differently...

The client values me keeping an eye on the property and the tree stock (as they are not permanent residents), and appreciate me pointing out any hazards or potential hazards that i come across while keeping the grounds of their 40acre arboretum. I try and offer them balanced advice, with emphasis on retention and conservation.

What i say is important to them, because they would likely not have identified or seen the significance of basal decay in a tree, and like to know these things...

not pushy, not tapping, not a salesman:001_tongue:

We are all as salesman,im just a poor one.:laugh1:

No seriously though, my philosophy is trees in an urban environment have a 'very' limited lifespan.

Therefore fell if needed/required and replant.

Hanging on to trees in the wrong environment serves no good purpose.

We manage trees, not try to save everyone.

We are all as salesman,im just a poor one.:laugh1:

i did think of editing what i said about not being a salesman.. in theory i am, but in practice its more under-selling, under-estimating and general charity work.:001_smile:

good job i'm not on comission... oh, i suppose i am really:blushing:

Large Beech next to the driveway of a small estate i look after. Driveway within a couple of feet that has been re-surfaced several times over the lifetime of the tree.

Recently noticed a section of decay on the driveway side of the trunk (after a small bit of falling deadwood knocked the necrotic bark off). The decayed area is approx 2' wide and 6' tall, the area above the dead bark and mushy cambium has areas exuding a black/brown substance.

So, Armillaria? Crown reduction? Removal?

How close is this tree to other trees and if they are within 5 to 10 meters apart, are their root systems connected or grafted ?

If so, I would advise to stop further spreading of rhizomorphs of the Armillaria by completely removing the tree and carefully removing its roots, removing 10 cubical metres of soil and filling the hole with "healthy" soil before replanting or wait for 5 to 10 years before planting a tree at all.

Guest Infinitree

Tree seems to be in a fairly wooded environment with few targets? Still a good ratio of living cambium-Whats the rush to fell?

You see Beech like this all the time in woodlands-

Really how necessary is it to remove all the contaminated soil?

Would stress induced from a reduction give the Armillaria an advantage?Thoughts?

If the client doesn't know what they want then you need to guide them,not push, just gently guide them in the direction required. You are the professional, they are the client, they want you around for your advice, at times they will not like it, at times you will be the best thing since sliced bread. I was walking around a clients grounds end of last autumn, saw an ash with Perenniporia fraxinea in quite an advanced state. So I advise the client that it is either removed or cordoned off to prevent harm to children and animals in the park. The cordoning off option was taken, the tree fell over during the winter. My judgement fully vindicated and client thanked me for pointing this out, even though it was beyond my brief that day. Don't be afraid to speak out, how would you feel if you didn't and injury/death followed?

1. Really how necessary is it to remove all the contaminated soil?

2. Would stress induced from a reduction give the Armillaria an advantage?

1. Left behind rhizomorphs of parasitic Armillaria that are still attached to remaining infected roots can detect damaged roots secreting growth hormones of neighbouring trees over a distance of one metre and grow towards them in a straight line at a speed of one metre a year.

2. Yes, it would. Armillaria would change its ways of reproduction into a dual strategy of panic fruiting from dead wood producing spores to disperse over long distance and sending out rhizomorphs in the soil to colonize the roots of new trees over short distance.

Edited by Fungus