seeking work experience / employment

rixy

Hi my name is Luke Rix, I'm 22 and looking for work experience / employment, I am a labourer at present not my ideal job, but its money and its paid for my training so far, have my nptc cs 30/31 and will be doing my climbing in June.

I'm hard working and not afraid of working long hours even at weekends, have a full clean driving licence.

I live on the border of oxfordshire / gloucestershire so if anyone out there needs a hand please pm me.

Have my own saws and ppe.

forgot to add any advise would be apprieciated, desperate to get into the industry, the money side doesnt bother me i just would like to be doing something i love doing.

I have pestered everyone round here, do get the odd days work but feel i do need lots more experience on the saw before i do my climbing.

So loads of advise please, how did everyone else start in the industry????

Edited by rixy
spelling wrong

I'd strongly advise doing a theory course to compliment your tickets mate. A good starting point is the RFS Certificate in Arboriculture which you can do online, pretty sure Myerscough still do it and I believe you can pay it in instalments, I think it was about £500-£600 ish when i did it. It's what I started with and I believe it gave me an edge to get onto further courses, get work and also a great placement which I bagged too. You sound very keen and eager to learn more which suggests that you've got the right level of commitment to be able to manage your time and get through such a course.

Keep looking for work too, if you get knocked back don't get disheartened. Take every opportunity to get some experience, for example; if you see some contractors out and about introduce yourself and ask if you might be able to get stuck in for a day, stuff like that. Then when you get your lucky break can prove your worth by totally busting your balls and being enthusiastic for a day, and then thats all it takes to get more work.

The fact your a labourer will help too, as I'm sure your in good shape and not afraid of graft...keep using it as a selling point.

And remember that we make our own luck, so keep at it, don't give up under any circumstances and good things will happen. All the best.

thanks mate for the advise

trouble is not very acadimic to be honest but 100% grafter, but will diffo look into course you mentioned.

doing some felling monday for a saw mill, will work my guts out cant wait.

Have been doing what you suggested asking firms out working when i spot them, people will think i some kind of stalking weirdo !!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind will not get dishearted will keep looking and maybe one day someone will take me on as a trainee, groundie anything as long as i work in the industry.