How old is old enough for an axe?

Daniël Bos

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice story there blazer........:thumbup:

When maisy is 5 i hope to start teeching her some stuff and get her into my line of work...............:thumbup1:

I really was strick with procedures with Iain, plus he didn't mess about, so all went well.

But to see the risk hit a pencil with even a blunt axe and see what happens - kids bones are just as weak, it really scared me at first but he never had even a small accident, more to his natural skill - plus luck:thumbup1:

I really was strick with procedures with Iain, plus he didn't mess about, so all went well.

But to see the risk hit a pencil with even a blunt axe and see what happens - kids bones are just as weak, it really scared me at first but he never had even a small accident, more to his natural skill - plus luck:thumbup1:

Probably about the same damage as shutting fingers in doors :001_smile:

My girls are 3 and play with most things in the shed under my supervision it normaly lasts 5 minutes and they are bored and doing something else, the biggest problem is when kids play with items normaly out of touch and dont have any idea of the inherent dangers

Probably about the same damage as shutting fingers in doors :001_smile:

My girls are 3 and play with most things in the shed under my supervision it normaly lasts 5 minutes and they are bored and doing something else, the biggest problem is when kids play with items normaly out of touch and dont have any idea of the inherent dangers

Yep JD - thats why I showed him how to do it right first time.

oh must tell you this one. I often looked out for axes at a car boot, so Iain did the same, came home with what he thought was a small fire axe, turned out to be a real battle axe head on a cheap shaft. So he asked his teacher if he could bring his battle axe to school, ' no prob' she replied, total horror when she saw it,' I thought he meant a toy battle axe' - he don't do toys I replied:thumbup1:

Thanks guys, though it seems "the average opinion" reckons they're probably a bit young, I'm swaying more towards "they'll probably be ok" now.:thumbup:

he asked his teacher if he could bring his battle axe to school, ' no prob' she replied, total horror when she saw it,' I thought he meant a toy battle axe' - he don't do toys I replied:thumbup1:

Our Elisabeth took a chicken-leg to "show and tell" the other day, after I'd shown her how to remove it in such a way that the tendons stick out so that when you pull the one, it opens and the other it closes. Remote controlled claw.:thumbup1:

I got a similar reaction:lol:

What are you thinking they might do with the axes?

If it's splitting, have you considered froes? My elder daughter (3 - in the avatar) is quite happy splitting wood with a froe. She first used it at just over 2, although she couldn't wield a beetle big enough to actually split anything. Since you have to hold it with one hand and the beetle with the other, you can't use it with your fingers in the way.

She's quite good about safety - since the age of 2 one of her favourite bedtime treats has been to watch flaming-ace's grandad with his 070 on youtube and criticise his lack of ppe!

Alec