Stihl 038AVS, HT lead replacement

Charles Ekin

Greetings

Would be very grateful for your advice:

Damaged HT lead so I have done as the manual suggests, got replacement parts and have reached the point where I should, "pull lead out through the [spark plug] terminal after unscrewing it from the woodscrew on the high tension output of the ignition armature (or module)". My question is this, do the leads unscrew from all models of ignition modules or are some sealed units? I have tried to unscrew it with a reasonable amount of force, by hand and with a pair of pliers, but don't want to bust the cable inside.

Thanks

Charlie

some do, some don't on the 038. All later 038's use a sealed module whereby the lead is part of it and irreplaceable. All replacement 038 modules are also sealed. If it is one that you can replace the lead on its own, then it should unscrew anti-clockwise without using too much force- any more then it's probably a moulded lead.

Megatron

Many thanks for your help with this HT lead story.

Hope the pics are good enough.

Am I just being too ginger with unscrewing the lead from the module or perhaps turning it the wrong way (undoes normally, ie anti-clockwise, or has it got a reverse thread on it)?

In any case, many thanks for your help.

Charlie

PS the lead damage is underneath the sleeve

DSC03138.JPG.4cc71542ce59a13e95fb2ca876e9fa38.JPG

DSC03137.JPG.7ac65db55e52d5f75df0ad259c67b268.JPG

DSC03136.JPG.7b3550213d44d5b2a0469617d8e8a370.JPG

Charles, to be honest if the lead is damaged and its not replaceable you are going to need a new coil anyway, so nothing will be lost by trying to undo it.

Firstly squirt a drop of WD40 round where the lead goes into the coil (cap pulled out of the way)

Second, get a good grip with good pliers as low down as possible on the HT lead and turn ANTI CLOCKWISE. It may require a little force but it may undo. If it breaks the you will have to get a new coil.

Someone will pop up and say NO , join it. Yes you can do this. Cut it a couple of inches from the coil, bare the centre wire. Twist a new piece on and bind very tightly in insulating tape, or self amalgamating tape and give it a try. Its a bit of a bodge but it may work. It must be well insulated or the spark will track to earth.

Pahh - join it....easy - sorry Barrie:lol::lol:

I had a Husqvarna coil that I busted the lead off and took out all the old HT lead, drove a needle in to the internal coil connection that was broken and then epoxied a new lead in pushed on to the needle.

It worked fine, saved the owner some bucks and believe it is still working today.

It may be an option but agree, just try to unscrew it, we really need to see where the HT lead actually goes in to the coil but good luck.

Guess its that old dealer mentality again. i would rather fit a new coil, because its the proper way to do it, it cannot go wrong, and the next person to look at it can't accuse me of bodging.

However, I have to sgree, if was my own machine I would join it.

Thank you all so much for your input about this. I think the squirt of WD40 did the trick. The old lead easily budged after that and it unscrewed anti-clockwise no problem. In case it might help those who have not done this, as you push and turn the new lead in, the insulation on the lead auto-threads itself into the female thread on the module and this impales the conducting part of the lead onto a spike in the module, (on my IIDA version at least)

Thanks to all.

Charlie