help with ms 250 oiler and hole next to the exhaust

offgridchris

i hope somebody can help me with the oiler on my ms250. oil is being pumped but out of a hole just to the side of the exhaust and not out of the correct hole and onto the bar. ive sprayed some wd40 down it, and down the correct oil hole and its improved a bit. is it meant to be a valve?

also the cylinder is carbonized and ive used some fuel additive in the tank. anything else i should do?

many thanks in advance and getting this saw working will do wonders for my low back because after a day my 064 feels pretty heavy.

There is a vent valve for the oil tank, but it is found in a drilling visible just in front of, and in line with, the front bar stud(bar removed).

It keeps the internal pressure inside the tank equal to atmospheric pressure.

It does not sound quite like your problem.

detritus 21 thanks, i thought there should be a plug. i can see where the oil outlet hole is. yes a stupid design. any ideas what to plug it with?

ive also noticed that the filler cap is leaking. will that effect pumping and where the oil goes?

there could be a crack in the casing the saw took a big tumble from rolling the quad bike last year. dangerous things.

Yes there should be a plug there. First make sure it hasn't been pushed down the hole partially obstructing the oil flow to the bar whilst also allowing oil to escape beside the muffler. There is no valve, it is a passage that leads directly to the outlet side of the oil pump (branching off to the bar outlet). A straight hole is drilled at the factory and the little plug used to cap the end thus sending all the oil out of the bar outlet.

To replace you can use a grub screw, part number 9134 381 1230. On installation use Red Loctite 262 on the threads. Leave approx 1.5mm of the head of the screw exposed above the surface of the housing.

The leaking cap won't influence where the oil goes except on the floor! The rubber ring may be damaged or the cap itself cracked, neither of which is uncommon.

Edited by Megatron