Log shed air gap?

bobh

Building myself a log shed, 4 meter square, single pitch roof, 7' at the front dropping to 6' at the back.

Doing this as cheaply as possible so have used old bt poles for the uprights and I'm milling the rest of the timber from some big spruce.

So far I've milled about half the boards I should need, most are between 15"-23" wide. These will be ripped down on a saw bench. But to what width?

I was thinking of 6" boards with a 2" air gap but not sure what the best combination of board/air gap is.

What do you guys think?

_MG_9747.jpg.16b1cfd9e69d07ccefdbc71de2b40ece.jpg

Don't rip the boards at all. Nail up vertically then using another whole board to cover gap. To allow air flow nail (if needed) small dia baton horizontally before fixing covering board. We call it 'Norfolk Board' without the baton. My stables are made from 30 inch oaks through and through cut and look great. You use the whole tree with no waste.

For a "prettier", more organic look, just give the boards straight edges, and nail them up with varying width, and with a 1/2" - 1" gap. Any wider, and rain/snow may get to your logs. Leave a good 4" gap at the base, though, that way you'll have plenty of air circulation. Having the varying board width looks really good! Obviously, you'll have to cut to specific width at the corners, unless you select boards so the total width match.

How do you attach pictures?

Below the text entry fields, you'll find a section called "Attach Files" with a "Manage attachments" button. Use that to point out your picture files, and they'll be displayed at the bottom of your posting