Free Postage

sethgill

Absolutely, yes agreed it’s annoying people wanting discounts and margins are being squeezed to the point they are only making a few pounds on internet sales but that’s the business they choose to be in.

Yes - but then don't be surprised and put out when you get an e-mail like the one you got!

If they wanted instead to set up as a local supplier who makes a healthy margin with lower volume then that’s fine I think this chap in question should do that. Or do as I advised him and to do is pay someone else to answer his company’s emails.

You really think it is as easy as that - just get someone else in? Just set up as a local supplier?

My gripe is that they want silly money to post to the highlands of Scotland.

What do you call silly money to the Highlands? As a retailer it costs 3x as much to send to the highlands than what is known as 'Mainland UK' - how long have you lived in the Highlands? You must know it's going to cost more to get stuff sent to you by now?

Other than his over curt reply I'm on the side of the retailer on this one.

:sneaky2:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - but then don't be surprised and put out when you get an e-mail like the one you got!

You really think it is as easy as that - just get someone else in? Just set up as a local supplier?

What do you call silly money to the Highlands? As a retailer it costs 3x as much to send to the highlands than what is known as 'Mainland UK' - how long have you lived in the Highlands? You must know it's going to cost more to get stuff sent to you by now?

Other than his over curt reply I'm on the side of the retailer on this one.

:sneaky2:

:thumbup1: (and I dont sell anything!)

Postage to Highlands and Islands can be a real nightmare, I live on the isle of mull and when buying on line spend quite a lot of time looking for the best deal on postage.

This generally means I'm looking for someone who uses Royal Mail as they charge the same for here as anywhere else. The other advantage of royal mail is they come here every day whereas the couriers tend to turn up only when they have a van full.

Bought something off ebay the other day, advert stated it would be royal mail second class but because I "live on an isalnd" the seller decided to use a courier without asking me first, ended up taking 2 weeks to arrive. Felt like asking him whether he thought royal mail would have got to the ferry terminal and just thrown my package in the sea!

We do the volume and use FedEx and get a very good rate from them, but it the exotic ones that get expensive.

We have input every postcode into our data base and it adds the surcharge at the shopping basket automatically. But at the moment if it's under £50.00 it will still add the postcode surcharge for FedEx even though we will send it royal mail. We have to then deduct it from the payment before we take it.

You would think it's quite simple to change it but trust me it's not, also if someone orders under £50 but over 5kg it would need to go FedEx. Arhhhhh:001_smile:

Most couriers do surcharge heavily for the highlands and it's no good saying this or that service is the same price if that company doesn't use that service.

The reply you got was below par and without making excuses, you would be amazed at how many rude, aggressive and cheeky emails you get when you sell online. I've been threatened with violence twice in the last Month. We are constantly being asked to give huge discounts and many people seem to think that online sellers should not be trying to make a profit at all.

I'm not saying that you were anything but polite in your enquiry but it takes some skill to endure a poostorm of angry emails and maintain a polite demeanour. This person maybe hasn't acquired that skill as yet.

What was the wording of your enquiry? Many emails we get say something like 'free postage over £100?' and you kind of think if you can't be bothered asking a polite question.......

Hi, no I politely said to the company that I was about to order the item and was hit with a high postage making it more expensive, I simply asked if they would like to match the price of competitors. They then came back with the email I posted! It only required a yes or no answer.

You can send up to 20kg first class packet post. 5kg costs about £8 and then £1.20 per kilo up to 20. So it can be a cheaper option than couriers who usually come it at around £12-15 to offshore and isles for contract customers.

We use city link who are as good as any of them we find. Plus they take heavy stuff and we sell a lot of heavier tools etc.

We have some clever software in our store which can work out all the shipping based on weight cost and area.

Hi, no I politely said to the company that I was about to order the item and was hit with a high postage making it more expensive, I simply asked if they would like to match the price of competitors. They then came back with the email I posted! It only required a yes or no answer.

Fair enough. A lot of stores don't show delivery up front and wait until you get to the checkout.