The diary of an obsessive compulsive arborist

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi tony is the effect on the stem of the Aesculus spp reaction wood wound wood ribs where the tree is dealing with torsion from unidirectional winds .:001_smile:

no its trying to occlude the strip cankers caused by Psuedomonas, they follw the helical growth, wall one is not a barrier to psuedomona, so it gos all the way to terminal bud hence the length of the dead strips.

no its trying to occlude the strip cankers caused by Psuedomonas, they follw the helical growth, wall one is not a barrier to psuedomona, so it gos all the way to terminal bud hence the length of the dead strips.

cheers mate I think I follow so does it attack the weakest codit wall traveling through the vessels from warter in the soil . :001_smile:

This guys got a serious idea, bare with the numbers for a bit and watch till the end, he is a little bit hard to follow but its worth it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmssrVInP0]TEDxDubbo - Tony Lovell - Soil Carbon: Putting Carbon Back Where It Belongs: In The Earth - YouTube[/ame]

So, we need to increase global bio-diversity to get Gaia to become more fertile.

Answer = release lots of lions around the Macdonalds amazonian cattle herds to get them running away to create less pressure on the grass lands :thumbup:

very interestink link, good one Tony

I dont think its quite like that but yes!:lol:

Not just more fertile but organic carbon extraction and deposited into soils. We have a historic pastoral system that was the ideal, we just got all stupid and married chemistry thanks to Liebigg in the 1870's:thumbup1:

its a bit off topic but looking back over the thread at the stuff about wippendell woods is quite intresting i live very local to it and majority of weekend go cycling and walking though there and its a pity what they have done to the woodland as i have seen it for so long. also the avenue of mature beech trees to the north of wippendell woods are all failing now.... its intresting to see what has possibly happened to these trees.

Its a good link Tony, TED presetntations are nearly always worth taking time to listen to.

I also really like the idea of it being held in Dubbo.

Shame he tripped on claiming trees have the same biomass in the ground as bove..not the way I have come to understand healthy woodlands and forests...but its only a nit pick I guess.

Also disappointing that he chose not to mention the massive grassland ecosystems native to Oz..would have liked that even if only in passing...but hwe had a lot to get across and personally I think he did a good job if cramped for time and as a result had to rush through some demanding thought exercises.

The comparative examples warrent greater detail and hopefully some kind of published papers for others to digest, pictures and statements are great but the devil is really in the details.

Great link thanks for posting it.