Hitch climber.

mark_goldfinch

Mine tends when I am about 15-20 foot off the floor. Sometimes I have to give it a bit of encouragement to get going but all in all a great hitch. Tied 3wrap 2 braid and end to end is 24 inches long.

At the moment, i am using a bit of the green OP, but usually the AP or regular OP. This works well on Tachyon, Imori and Poison HIvy.

Sometimes, lock or spider users get on my tits a bit going on about self tending... who cares. use what you want, are comforable and confident with.

My hitch is nice a flowing and if I have to touch it to set it then big deal. This process is programmed in to the memory and really only takes a second.

However, this is the thing that lock/spider users seem to be so smug about. I bet it takes longer at the start of a day to thread the length of climbing line though a spider jack than it does setting a hitch for a whole days climbing.

Rant over.

i love my lockjack.....:biggrin:

but i love my hitch even more.......:thumbup:

the 2 jacks are great, yeah it self tends half the time! and it is only half the time, but i also feel that self tending is over rated...

i find jacks very clumsy though on reductions, i alternate between hardware on take downs the lock jack and i prefer to use a hitch on pruning jobs its more precise, easy to tend my minute movements,

your hitch is always going to be personal preference and dependent on your weight rope and hitch cord types, are some of the major factors to your hitch self tends or not.

don't know about you rich but i have noticed slight difference in the op colour, i just need to ajust my hitch a little more on the green but the red always seemed to be set right????

the best thing to do is to try lots of different hitch cord for your rope and try lots of different hitches to suit your style, weight, rope, and cord

I just tried a bit on Thursday as the guy I was working for asked me to set his VT back up. I grabbed a bit and quickly tied it then went up the tree. Bingo, maybe I was just lucky!

Or it could just have seemed super smooth as I had just been using a bit of spliced e2e AP. I always find this a bit grabby if you have been sat on your hitch for a while. The combo with fishermans was perfect.

cheers gents, once again alot of things to try to get it rite, im supprised that alot of you arnt that worried about self tending I thought it would of been a key part of an efficient climb, taking that into concideration im going to try the schwab hitch and not worry about self tending until I get used to the system. thanks again mark.

When I started on a closed hitch I'd been on a self tending blakes hitch so found the 'Hitch Climber' set up to be a bit of a backward step in that respect... however, having found a set up a like [9mm Boa on 11mm Aeris] I'm not overly concerned about self tending, the responsiveness of the hitch counts for a lot more...