Estate worker

Bald Monkey

depends on the work, if i do planting or drive machinery i charge 70 to 80 if i use my own equipment and the job uses alot of fuel il charge a little bit more to cover costs, have you done much forestry or estate work before?

Not done much forestry work before but I have spent the last year working at a well known nature reserve. This involved all kinds of work from fencing, woodland work, animal management, pathway/bird hide maintenance, bird surveys and monitering breeding ospreys. I led groups of volunteers on a daily basis in conservation tasks.

To be honest I don't think I will be doing the woodland work day in day out. The estate has holiday cottages and animals and my main role will be assisting the estate manager in the day to day maintenance of the estate.

I had a meeting with the owners late last year and they know what I''m all about and what experience I have. They were impressed that I'd had the initiative to contact them and also put forward some ideas for the estate that could generate further income.

Of course it's a big risk but I'm determined to make it a success as I really want this part of the world to become my home. My wife has also given up her half decent paid job in accounts for the move, she has got some work lined up in a local hotel. As long as we earn enough money to pay for the bills etc we will be happy, we don't want loads of money just enough to enable us to stay in the area.:001_smile:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking for a similar position in my neck of thewoods but struglling to find anything and you have gone at it with my way of thinking, I think with your attitude and what you bring to the table in terms of contributing to extra income ideas and other maintenance issues you could prove invaluable as an employee and not just as someone who can look after the forestry side of things, i think its all about you as a bigger picture. Good luck with whatever you do and i hope it all works out for you.

Im looking for a similar position in my neck of thewoods but struglling to find anything and you have gone at it with my way of thinking, I think with your attitude and what you bring to the table in terms of contributing to extra income ideas and other maintenance issues you could prove invaluable as an employee and not just as someone who can look after the forestry side of things, i think its all about you as a bigger picture. Good luck with whatever you do and i hope it all works out for you.

Cheers mate, good luck with your job hunting. I'm sure you'll find something soon. :thumbup1:

Just wondering for the prices for services rendered, will you and your wife be living on site or somewhere else?, I would also start higher and work down from there as well. I am not sure how large of an estate this is, however with proper scheduling, I too would only go year to year for this job to start out with. I hope this chapter in your life will be a nice one for both of you.

easy-lift guy

Not done much forestry work before but I have spent the last year working at a well known nature reserve. This involved all kinds of work from fencing, woodland work, animal management, pathway/bird hide maintenance, bird surveys and monitering breeding ospreys. I led groups of volunteers on a daily basis in conservation tasks.

To be honest I don't think I will be doing the woodland work day in day out. The estate has holiday cottages and animals and my main role will be assisting the estate manager in the day to day maintenance of the estate.

I had a meeting with the owners late last year and they know what I''m all about and what experience I have. They were impressed that I'd had the initiative to contact them and also put forward some ideas for the estate that could generate further income.

Of course it's a big risk but I'm determined to make it a success as I really want this part of the world to become my home. My wife has also given up her half decent paid job in accounts for the move, she has got some work lined up in a local hotel. As long as we earn enough money to pay for the bills etc we will be happy, we don't want loads of money just enough to enable us to stay in the area.:001_smile:

does sound like a nice job, good luck to ya.

i hate it when moneys not discussed before hand it makes everything so much more awkward

Just wondering for the prices for services rendered, will you and your wife be living on site or somewhere else?, I would also start higher and work down from there as well. I am not sure how large of an estate this is, however with proper scheduling, I too would only go year to year for this job to start out with. I hope this chapter in your life will be a nice one for both of you.

easy-lift guy

Cheers Easylift, it's not a live in position at the moment but who knows if I make a good impression. We have planned to be up there for a year to start with to make sure it is financially viable for the both of us to earn enough money through all of the year. It it works we stay if not we move on but at least we can say we tried it.