Husqvarna 444se cylinder and piston

Will H

Hi everyone, been registered on the forum a while but this is my first post!

Anyway I've just acquired a Husqvarna 444se saw - its old but bombproof compared with modern saws!

The saw wasn't running so I did the usual checks and found it to be low on compression - only around 90psi! After stripping it down it seems that the plating has come off the inside of the cylinder and destroyed the piston, so basically the piston and cylinder need replacing.

Now here comes the problem, it seems like most of the parts for this saw are no longer available. I've had no luck tracking down a cylinder and piston so I thought I'd ask on here if anyone could recommend replacements from another model of saw that might work on this one (or were I can source a direct replacement). Ideally it would be good to fit a slightly bigger bore cylinder and piston to give a bit more power!

Thanks in advance,

Will

• 4 weeks later...

I just came accross a 444se as well while back here in the states. I am told a 242xp piston works, but I doubt the cylinder will. This one has low compression so I am gonna clean it up and put a new ring on it and see how she does.

......... a Husqvarna 444se saw - its old but bombproof......

the plating has come off the inside of the cylinder and destroyed the piston, so basically the piston and cylinder need replacing.

Will

Hi Will, couldn't help but notice you contradict yourself so well. No offence intended. (I'd insert smiley here, but on phone so no smilies at hand)

Hi Will, couldn't help but notice you contradict yourself so well. No offence intended. (I'd insert smiley here, but on phone so no smilies at hand)

No offence taken :blushing:

Should have said bombproof except the cylinder and piston!!! After some googling and as wyk has said it seems like this a reoccurring problem with these saws.

Haven't decided if I'm going to get a replacement cylinder and piston yet, I've got 3 other saws needing repair so this will probably be put on hold for a while - or end up in the parts bin!

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect part of the problem is the internal arrestor screen inside the muffler. Mine was roughly 85% clogged with carbon build up when I received the saw. Unless you knew about it, you wouldn't know there was one in there and to look after it. So, what would happen is you use it, have to lean it out some to run, use it some more, lean it out some more, etc etc until the exhaust side starts to lean seize and you lose all your compression. A silly design. I've since removed it and gutted the muffler. I've grabbed a piston from a 346XP older edition before they went to 50cc's, machined a pop up into the top of the piston, and will be cleaning up the cylinder with muritic acid soon here when I find the time. I've taken some skirt measurements from the piston and have already ported the cylinder, advanced both ignition and exhaust a tad, and raised the upper transfers as well as relieving quite a bit on the lowers. It will either sing or explode. Wish me luck.

Edited by wyk

Sounds like quiet a project you've got there - Good luck:thumbup:

I've never personally run this saw, it was already messed up when I got it! I think the piston/cylinder failed due to the cylinder plating wearing thin and breaking down -probably just from wear and tear as the carb setting were richer the the default settings. However as you say the spark arrestor screen was slightly clogged (not 85% tough!) so that probably didn't help!

Did ya manage to find a cylinder? I couldn't for the life of me. I have to hope this one cleans up. It's definitely aluminum deposits by the feel of it.