new arb numbers?

john p

Having read the previous posts I don't think anyone is running new arbs down, purely because they aren't tarring them all with the same brush. There ARE heaps of numpties coming into the industry with "all the gear, no idea". They take abuse from employers and get heaped with a larger share of the donkey work, and this helps weed out the ones who aren't cut out for it. Good workers, who are determined will stick it out long enough to get better and before you know it become competent, and finally skillful. It's not brain surgery we do, but it does require a level of awareness and common sense.

That said, I think the same can be applied to nearly every profession. To get good at anything takes time, the right attitude, and perseverence. The right guidance helps a lot too.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The worse ones are the real cocky ones that think they know it all but usually they are the ones that will end up in A&E blabbering about it being the saws fault or something. The ones that will become good IMO are the quiet ones that ask questions instead of boasting about how huge that tree was they did the other day! QUOTE]

Whilst climbing a superrrrr hugeeee tree the other day my stupid silky assaulted me ...Know the kind lol and their throwlines are always stupid :lol:

*Creeps round corner* is it safe? :P

I was'nt aiming what I said purly on this thread, it was more an overview of posts I've seen during my time on here so no-one need have read and taken offense :001_smile:

I should follow it up by saying that there are lots of really decent experienced people on here that do go out of their way to support newbies and when I first started they were of great help to me.

I can see it from both sides though and there are people at my college that when handling a saw I would'nt stand within 10ft of them! We have all kinds of people, some super hard grafters but not the most technical when it comes to rigging etc, some that are good climbers but are lazy on the deck, some good all rounders, cocky buggers and some that can't go a month without putting a saw in their trousers :laugh1: As an employer you can't judge these qualities until the person is on your site, so I perfectly understand why companies demand experience.