Tractor 3 point linkage question

Busy Daddy

Does anybody carry any heavy weights on a 3 point linkage

I am thinking of running the chipper this way on a fastrac or mf 6499

They will both lift around 8 tonne the chipper comes in at 3.5 tonnes , trying to find a sprung braked trailer is difficult and some of the roads round here are bad

If its a robust chipper, I don't see a problem. My bearcat 8 inch chipper didn't do many road miles (probably less than 50 before the A frame cracked. but shaking and swinging around on linkage cannot be good for them.

It won't harm the tractors though its less than half capacity.

Put more info on or even pictures, then you will get over peoples experiences and opinions.

You won't have a problem from the tractor point of view, but i'm not so sure the chipper will like all the bouncing about. Probably better on a fastrac or mog as you have more suspension. Either way the tractor won't struggle with lifting or carrying it!!

:biggrin:

Tractor will be fine with it. Not sure why you would need weights with it? Front weights are for heavy rear linkage such as ploughs or the like to keep front wheels on the floor.

To stop some bounce or swaying use some heavy packers on the lower links between link arms and stops. Some machines have a metal wedge that can be turned around so as it lifts it pushes links to stop swaying, bouncing is due to road surface but a good driver can get rid of this effect with steady driving, it's more if pothole are hit at speed then the links will lift up in the air and crash back down again, again adjustment on top link will also reduce this chance.

Fastrac will still bounce as the rear linkage is on the rear axle set up and not suspension. As such. And if anything it will bounce more due to the suspension. Been driving tractors for about 12 years now. A chipper is a paperweight compared to some implements.

Just ensure all links are adjusted correctly and you don't drive like a bat out of hell on rough roads.

The chipper is a heizohack . It is on an unbraked unsprung single axle at the moment but it dosent ride well , i run it behind a 8400 50k valtra but only manage between 30 - 40k . I have messed around with tyre pressure and front weights to try and balance it up a bit but no good

It has a 3 point mount on it

Most agri trailers are very big and high , something the size of a plant trailer would be ideal , but i run into weight problems , and brakes i think you have to go to oil or air if over 50k

You should still have no problems that I can see with using the linkage, what would the overall length be if it was on links?

Front weights will keep front end down but will increase tyre wear. Best to put it on and see if the front end lifts too much. If it does you need front weights but have to work out if you need a full set or only half, less is more to limit tyre wear.

Can you get some pics up, I'm struggling a bit to what you mean by weight on linkage, do you mean weight on back and chipper on front or chipper on back and weight on front????