ISC Rocker

Old Mill Tree Care

I got a rocker recently to use on my lanyard. In the past I've had a Petzl Rope grab and since then a micro pulley with a Distal hitch.

I've only used the Rocker on a few trees and so far and it seems really good. I've seen negative comments on here in the past which I now don't understand.

It's definitly better than a Rope Grab and I feel really safe on it.

I'm just wondering what other applications they are used for and with what rope.

Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the negative comments either. I use the SAR Rocker (same as ISC) on a long lanyard for positioning when doing several groups of trees we maintain (the big ones I leave to that good fella!). I've also been using Rockers for climbing some bigger trees with my kids, SRT and using them as ascenders. Good thing is they provide proper fall arrest too, they run freely when you want, and I like the way you can swivel that cam thing round so they hold in place on the rope. I find they work perfectly on both my 11mm Marlow Aeris, and also on my 12mm Kingfisher kingbraid that I use for a lanyard.

Really don't know why people don't seem to rate them for work positioning and fall arrest in trees, whereas they're one of the best devices available for work positioning and fall arrest!

Edited by Pedroski

I had one although a camp version, you know I actuall quite liked it.

At the moment I use a cinch on 6ish meters of 10mm ocean poly, I like that because it can be backed of under load and quickly converted into an srt set-up to allow me to use the full 6m as a secondary! Not life support work positioning aid.

But I will be buying a ce lanyard from tefalburger or maybe make my own version of it, again it shear versatility lanyard, srt positioning aid, drt short second line, able to be backed off with ease under weight and fine adjustment. Once your used to one and how it can help you a rocker seems old hat.

To be honest old mill I,m surprised you do not use one already, it will prolong your climbing career and you will feel less tired when you get home :P

Trango Cinch is on my wanted list. The SAR/ISC/Troll rockers can be released under load - - not sure if the Camp one is different.

I think the camp variant is slightly different, it was possible to release under reasonable load but not you full weight, but it was hardly comfortable or precise.

I rate the cinch, but honestly a ce lanyard is the bees knees to me, I always wanted an art positioner again a great tool but now I,ll probably bodge together my own version of the ce lanyard they are a good option.

I used the Rocker yesterday on a big Oak and today on a small, very awkward and scary Maple.

I thought it was great. Although you can't micro adjust in the same way as with some other systems, I found that by removing a tiny bit of my weight off the lanyard I could descend smoothly and slowly. Something that can't be done with a Rope Grab.

I've got 13mm in it but I'll change to something thinner.

I'm still surprised it isn't more popular.