Starting SRT ( yo-yo technique )

born2trot

Hello guys / gals , need advice on exactly what kit i need to start trying RADS . I've got the gri gri 2 and have just purchased 10.5mm semi static rope . I'm assuming i still need a left hand ascender , right foot pantin or foot loop and small pulley. If someone could suggest a detailed set up that would be greatly appreciated , thanks.... :001_smile:

Edited by born2trot
spelling

Have a look at this from GOTC.

Yo-yo (also known as RADS for "Rope Ascending Descending System") - A mechanical ascender with a foot loop is attached to the climbing rope. An autolocking belay/rappel device is attached to the climber’s harness at the waist, below this ascender. The brake strand (as it exits the belay/rappel device) is routed up to the ascender and redirected back downward (usually through a carabiner or pulley). * GOTC recognizes that some experienced climber prefer to forgo the life support attachment between the ascender and the climber’s harness, which might provide the climber with some benefit during particular climbs, although it may increase risk. GOTC firmly believes that climbers in a Basic SRT course should be taught to use a tethered ascender.

It's simple all you need is your gri gri, static rope, ascender left or right depending on your preference, micro pulley and a foot loop or make your own with some accessory cord.

Install acces line/rope attach gri gri place handled ascendor above it with foot loop attached to bottom, place with offset karabiner snap gate is fine a micro pulley through top hole of ascendor capturing rope put tail of line throu that put your wait onto gri gri slide ascendor up stand in foot loop pull down on tail of rope which with the pulley will advance the gri gri, now repeat in a sit stand kind of way.

It's not the most efficient, but it is easy and allows you to both ascend and descend, it's a great intro into the benefits of srt access of which there are many, drt with hitch is still my preferred work positioning.

Again check out YouTube for some good videos.

Thanks for the replies guys, i just wanted to double check i wasnt missing something important . The trouble is i'm finding youtube of not much use in showing or explaining this technique . The only one seems to be of an old fella struggling up a small tree and he is out of it by the time he is a decent height..its obvious he isnt doing this on a regular basis . Still it gave me an insight anyway. Thanks again chaps :001_smile:

or have a look at the v.t.i.o website and download the article that joe harris did on s,r,t techniques, cracking read!

That's a great article. Here's the link for anyone who wants to read it - downloads as a PDF. http://vtio.org.au/Content/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Single-Rope-Technique-i.pdf Web site is Victorian Tree Industry Organisation