IRATA rope access

Matt McAulay

It sure is an interesting one . The only thing I can see with this chestnut is that IRATA rope access company's don't ask ask for cs39 is because its a working of a rope and harness system they don't recognise or see as safe , if they asked for cs39 they would have to ask for 38 as well as 39 cannot be done without 38 then they would have to let the operators use the rope methods that we have been trained to used in Cs 38 and cs39 to carry out the work

because they don't allow the use of the rope system used in or 39 or 38 they cannot ask for those tickets otherwise they would be forced into allowing our methods

Even those the ticket is use of chainsaw from rope and harness .

Littletree :biggrin:

Yep, provided your working under a level three to sign your book of course.

and provided you work off two ropes not just a shunt (ASAP / rocker or whatever else come along) line.

The level 2 is a good course, I'm looking for my 3 soon.

Jamie

Guest Billabong

I think it's because in the arb industry it's governed where you have to have the NPTC 38 & 39. Where as IRATA is a completely different governing body and therefore different requirements and different rules apply. Bearing in mind in rope access you have 2 ropes on 2 seperate anchors. The positioning in a tree with a chainsaw is completely different to working on a bank where you are on your feet so really you only need to be attached for work positioning, you wouldn't use rope access methods in a tree as you wouldn't use arb methods for rope access

I thought cs 39 was one of the few legal requirements (the others being 30/31 and 38) for training not just a recommendation. If it is a legal requirement shouldn't there be a requirement for an IRATA style use of a saw from rope and harness. But then again i did do a lot of bush and coppice felling while on Geo squads, hardly technical saw work.

Jamie

Guest Billabong

Well it is effectively ground work as the IRATA opperative won't be working in a tree with a chainsaw. I really doubt a top handle would be used as there isn't a need for it as unless the work is required up a tree and if that was the case an Arborist would be called in :thumbup: