Advertising at shows

ballymac

Hi all

Just wondering whether anyone had any experience of advertising at an agricultural/garden show. I'm not talking about a national show but more the local rural show.

Its only a thought at the minute but if a showgrounds had a suitable tree/group of trees near a boundary would a tree climbing demo be a worthwhile venture to raise business profile and be a good advertising tool?

I realise there are going to be a lot of variables like the type of attendeees at a show and the number actually bothering to watch any sort of demo but my gut feeling is that it might be worth a punt.

The kind of format I have been thinking of is a simple 10min demo of footlocking into tree canopy and taking off part of a branch (possibly lowering it to the ground), and then repeating this at set times through the day.

I would appreciate your thoughts and any experiences(good or bad) anyone has had of this or similar.

seen somthing like this, guy had about 6 guys doing diferent things in a mature Beech, he was walking round the base with a microphone explaining to the crowd what each person was doing every now and then they would demonstrate a rescue, was quite well done actually, all vehicles and kit parked up round the tree, and a banner hanning from the tree.

I did the Shropshire and West Mids show a long time ago. 1991 I think.

I put on a stand of a woodland scene showing tree sections with various defects, fungi etc with cutaway sections of decays and compartmentilisation. I borrowed a range of taxidermy of animals and birds and used them in relation to trees. I had a pro photographer take pics of my work and set them up on display boards with explanatory text.

At the front of the stand I displayed tools and an oak log partly milled.

It was hard work bringing it all together; hard work talking constantly for 3 days and hard work taking it all down again.

I won the best stand in show and quite a lot of work from it so it was worth it but not sure I'd ever want to repeat it:001_smile:

Hi all

Just wondering whether anyone had any experience of advertising at an agricultural/garden show. I'm not talking about a national show but more the local rural show.

Its only a thought at the minute but if a showgrounds had a suitable tree/group of trees near a boundary would a tree climbing demo be a worthwhile venture to raise business profile and be a good advertising tool?

I realise there are going to be a lot of variables like the type of attendeees at a show and the number actually bothering to watch any sort of demo but my gut feeling is that it might be worth a punt.

The kind of format I have been thinking of is a simple 10min demo of footlocking into tree canopy and taking off part of a branch (possibly lowering it to the ground), and then repeating this at set times through the day.

I would appreciate your thoughts and any experiences(good or bad) anyone has had of this or similar.

Go for it!, any time you can show your skills or products to help you do your job faster or better or safer is a :thumbup1:. It continues to keep you in front of the public eye and First impressions like this do not come very often in a somewhat controlled marketing environment. No one can pimp yourself or the products you use better than yourself, esp. when you are at the top of your game:thumbup:

easy-lift guy

Thanks for the replies fellas - some food for thought in there.

I think if the venue and show were suitable then it would be a great showcasing opportunity but as I'm only small fish (me and a groundie) then I would have to think long and hard about how to properly communicate/narrate any sort of climbing demo. I'm not surprised to hear there's a lot involved in the preparation of something like this but I suppose if you're going to bother at all then there's no point in going at it half assed.

Mmmm more thinking required... :001_smile: