lockjack slack pulley

RobRainford

after using my lockjack a fair bit now, nearly for a year, one thing that always got annoying was the fact that if the slack underneath just isnt at the right angle, it wont release properly so its awkward when branchwalking.

would a pulley set underneath it be a good way of sorting this? i was thinking something clipped to my bridge next to the lj to help tend the slack in, much in the way a hitchclimber or skywalker pulley works on a VT system

I'm having this problem with my sj I'm really looking forward to the new leaver with pulley. Marc I went back to hitch climber the other day and I just found it so much harder to use I got fed up of tending slack.

I dislike tending slack now too. Tried it for a couple hours and it felt so stiff and slow!

I've come up with this, very simple and does work, put the end of the rope through the same point I was anchored, leaning on the door ledge of my container and slowly dropping down worked well, don't expect amazing results but it did a good job for such a simple addition.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332084868.123660.jpg.9157d4a85d972008bbce80925f2ce21a.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332084816.492801.jpg.94111cf0d746f19e68d765491534c248.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332084794.518878.jpg.be0922447f4164aebcb83fa90fb4a988.jpg

I used an LJ for eight years, brilliant product. Although that pulley on the bridge will do what you want it can create a problem.

If the angles and tension are just right, the LJ can be held in the descent position and in theory if everything is just right at a given moment you could hit the floor.

I'm not saying don't use this set up, just be aware.

Failing that, ditch it all and get a Rope Wrench, it is the only smart way to climb after all!

I used an LJ for eight years, brilliant product. Although that pulley on the bridge will do what you want it can create a problem.

If the angles and tension are just right, the LJ can be held in the descent position and in theory if everything is just right at a given moment you could hit the floor.

I'm not saying don't use this set up, just be aware.

Failing that, ditch it all and get a Rope Wrench, it is the only smart way to climb after all!

i am aware of that, but thanks for pointing it out. i had a few goes of this moving up and down and pulling the rope at different angles, it seemed tricky to get it to cause such an issue, although ive not had a proper test yet so it may change.

Can you not just run the slack end through another krab clipped on your harness? I've seen this done in access work, and also on the Petzl web site, to keep the rope direction correct for the device in use. No need for an extra pulley really, I wouldn't have thought.

A revolver would probably be tidier? all these tools have there negatives, sure a hitchclimber needs the slack to be tended but has other positives, a lock jack like your finding out has it downsides to but also positives like good slack management.

I think it's important with all these great tools out there to not get to caught up in the hype, just use what you enjoy most and what gives you the most efficient time in your day to day work.

Of course I am very biased I love my hitch.