Help! Suunto Clinometer

I need an idiot's guide to how to use a Suunto optical clinomoeter to measure the height of a tree. I did this years ago at university but haven't used one since and I completely forget. I found a couple of PDF guides on the internet but each says something different and are not necessarily based on the Suunto clinometer commonly used in the UK.

The one I have at work (and which I must learn to use asap) is a Suunto and it has 2 scales through the little viewing window and there is also a little card in the box with 4 charts with scale lines. I don't know what that's for to be honest.

If someone can tell me how to use the device to measure a tree and what that little chart is for, I would be eternally grateful!

[The device at work is like this one but it doesn't have the little black knob.]

If its like mine it goes like this.

Stand a known distance from the tree-10 m in this eg.

Then looking through the device so the line hits base of tree, note the number on right scale (-10 in this case). Then sight the top of the tree, ( 100 on scale in this case).

This then gives you a total of 110. This is a % of the distance from the tree ie 110% of 10 m= 11 m

It's a bit odd that the -ve number at start is an added to the last reading but it works!

The two scales are degrees and percent use the percentage scales as its easier to work out. Simple to use, stand a known distance say 20meters away from the tree look through the sunto and take the reading at timber height or what height you want to measure say 80% then take another reading to base at ground level say take this reading say 10%. Add them both 90% so that makes the measurement 18m. This is for level ground.

I was wondering about how to use the Suunto clinometer on slopes.

There is a little chart inside the box with an incomprehensible Finnish sketch of a stickman looking through the clinometer at a tree from a distance of 20m on a slope.

Two of the charts feature a scale with downhill, uphill, and base reading labels in %, and two meter scales with apparent and corrected height.

On the other side of the card, there are two similar diagrams, with a stickman looking through the clinometer up a slope towards a tree, and rather than 20m, the distance is marked with a minus symbol. The little scale on the left is Ground slope degrees, and there are two meter scales, corrected height and apparent height.

So I now know how to measure a tree height on level ground, it would be most useful to be able to take measurements on sloping ground.

I was wondering about how to use the Suunto clinometer on slopes.

The instructions above does work on (moderate) slopes as well.

If you measure the % to the base of the tree, as well as the top of the tree, you should subtract the two, and the result is the tree height in % of your current horisontal distance to the tree.

Three examples:

1. Level ground

Tree top: 80%

Tree base: -7% (downwards)

Distance to tree: 20 m (can be measured along the ground)

Tree height: 80% - (-7%) = 87% * 20m = 17,4m

2. Slope (up)

Tree top: 96%

Tree base: 9% (upwards)

Distance to tree: 20 m (you need to estimate the horisontal distance to the tree)

Tree height: 96% - 9% = 87% * 20m = 17,4m

3. Slope (down)

Tree top: 67%

Tree base: -20% (downwards)

Distance to tree: 20m (you need to estimate the horisontal distance to the tree)

Tree height: 67% - (-20%) = 87% * 20m = 17,4m

The most accurate reading is obtained when the top reading is about 100%, i.e. the distance to the tree is similar to the tree height.

Does that all make sense?

Edited by morten

The instructions above does work on (moderate) slopes as well.

If you measure the % to the base of the tree, as well as the top of the tree, you should subtract the two, and the result is the tree height in % of your current horisontal distance to the tree.

Three examples:

1. Level ground

Tree top: 80%

Tree base: -7% (downwards)

Distance to tree: 20 m (can be measured along the ground)

Tree height: 80% - (-7%) = 87% * 20m = 17,4m

2. Slope (up)

Tree top: 96%

Tree base: 9% (upwards)

Distance to tree: 20 m (you need to estimate the horisontal distance to the tree)

Tree height: 96% - 9% = 87% * 20m = 17,4m

3. Slope (down)

Tree top: 67%

Tree base: -20% (downwards)

Distance to tree: 20m (you need to estimate the horisontal distance to the tree)

Tree height: 67% - (-20%) = 87% * 20m = 17,4m

The most accurate reading is obtained when the top reading is about 100%, i.e. the distance to the tree is similar to the tree height.

Does that all make sense?

Yes - thanks very much!:thumbup1: