goin bats??

elicokiz

bloody bats! what good are they anyway???

:001_tongue:

(dont get me started on birds nests)

depends what you think of midges and mosquitos, I dont think its the bats that are a problem, just the crazy way the are being "looked after" by the authorities

bloody bats! what good are they anyway???

:001_tongue:

(dont get me started on birds nests)

They are the only true flying mammal whose natural habitat and feeding area's are in decline due to increased building, agricultural changes and uses of pesticides, over management of trees............

Bats are lovely crearures and a necessary part of the eco system, but unfortunately when any new post is created in conservation the Beards occupy them and take things too far, I can remember when seals became protected due to dwindling numbers, it almost became a criminal offence to look at a seal sideways. Every year arround June the Mackerel shoals turn up and fishing is on, however for the last five years the Mackerel season has become shorter and shorter, the ecologists are jumping up and down blaming global warming and setting up more groups to investigate and monitior at great expence. A child that Had not yet had his common sence educated out of him pointed out that every beach in Pembrokeshire was smothered in big fat grey seals to the extent that one can no longer see the sand and perhaps this might explain the missing mackerel, wisdom that cost only an ice cream! My point is conservation does not know when to stop

• 3 weeks later...

Mackrel are abundant, and therefore the seals are exploiting them and likely a range of other species. If we werent polluting or over fishing our seas, there would be plenty for everyone.

Dont be hard on bats. When considering trees - it is you that is invading their habitat, so be respectful.

For those that havent encountered bats during tree work, please be aware that they only need a cavity with an opening of around 20mm to enter/exit the roost feature. So unless you only work with juvenile sycamore.......it is highly unlikely that you havent cut or felled or disturbed a potential bat roost at some time.

Not considering bats when planning tree operations is irresponsible and you are running the risk of breaking the law, so get up to speed with it. Happy to help where possible.