Kony 2012

CraigD

I think this is a very stupid video, and idea in whole.

1. Invisible Children's board is made up entirely of Americans. Not a single Ugandan, not a single African. How can they represent a group of people that they are not part of?

2. Invisible Children's finance is a mess. Of more than £6 million it spent in 2001, less than £2.3 million was for activities helping people on the ground. The rest went on “awareness programmes and products”, management, media and others.

3. This was the situation in Uganda 7-10 years ago. There is no war now, Kony is not even in Uganda, he is hiding in the DRC "dormant". Military action from the US/UN could spark him recruiting/kidnapping more child soldiers or once again going on the offensive. If there was military action, the US would be killing child soldiers to get to Kony.

4. US Forces would never find him in that Jungle, and in doing so may spark other warlords going into collaboration with Kony/anti US.

5. The Ugandan Gov./Military is corrupt to the core and has itself been implicated in “massacres and rapes, as well in the training of child soldiers” in the DRC, do you want the US to be training them/your money to aid them?

6. The "unknown children" are not unknown to the people that actually make a difference, and the insinuation of IC that they are the first and only people doing something is wrong, and devalues the actual work done by Isis, War Child and Angles of East Africa to name a few.

People watch a half hour video, donate some money/buy some posters and are automatically heroic saviours of Africa (How colonial, the nice white people going in to save the poor defencless black people). I bet most people who support this video couldn't point to Uganda on a map.

This is people trying to feel good about themselves without really doing anything.

Agreed Sam, they war my thoughts when I watched it this morning.

This has been going on for a very long time in countries other than Uganda as well, there are many agencies doing good work to stop it. I believe there was some VT on it during Comic Relief / Sport Relief last year.

The video seems to be having most effect on teenage Facebook users as you quite rightly say, probably don't know where Uganda is!

Agreed Sam, they war my thoughts when I watched it this morning.

This has been going on for a very long time in countries other than Uganda as well, there are many agencies doing good work to stop it. I believe there was some VT on it during Comic Relief / Sport Relief last year.

The video seems to be having most effect on teenage Facebook users as you quite rightly say, probably don't know where Uganda is!

Im one of those teenagers on Facebook, and I do know where uganda is on a map! I admit it is naive to think that this is the only problem in africa, or problems like this have only happened in the past couple of months. But the exposure this camping is trying to create will hopefully domino into a lot of similar cases.

but thats just my opinion.

cheers ciaran glyde

I think this is a very stupid video, and idea in whole.

1. Invisible Children's board is made up entirely of Americans. Not a single Ugandan, not a single African. How can they represent a group of people that they are not part of?

2. Invisible Children's finance is a mess. Of more than £6 million it spent in 2001, less than £2.3 million was for activities helping people on the ground. The rest went on “awareness programmes and products”, management, media and others.

3. This was the situation in Uganda 7-10 years ago. There is no war now, Kony is not even in Uganda, he is hiding in the DRC "dormant". Military action from the US/UN could spark him recruiting/kidnapping more child soldiers or once again going on the offensive. If there was military action, the US would be killing child soldiers to get to Kony.

4. US Forces would never find him in that Jungle, and in doing so may spark other warlords going into collaboration with Kony/anti US.

5. The Ugandan Gov./Military is corrupt to the core and has itself been implicated in “massacres and rapes, as well in the training of child soldiers” in the DRC, do you want the US to be training them/your money to aid them?

6. The "unknown children" are not unknown to the people that actually make a difference, and the insinuation of IC that they are the first and only people doing something is wrong, and devalues the actual work done by Isis, War Child and Angles of East Africa to name a few.

People watch a half hour video, donate some money/buy some posters and are automatically heroic saviours of Africa (How colonial, the nice white people going in to save the poor defencless black people). I bet most people who support this video couldn't point to Uganda on a map.

This is people trying to feel good about themselves without really doing anything.

Yup :001_smile: