timberbear

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
I've now climbed for the last 24yrs and like everyone I've progressed onto new better ropes and loops. After a week of heavy climbing I'm thinking of moving onto using a Spiderjack or lock jack. I've never used either but need to make my climbing more efficient and easier (my arms ache these days). I use three different ropes, Yale Imori (my favourite), New England Hi Viz and Yale XTC Fire. If I decide to move onto one of these devices could I still use the same ropes. Most of my climbing is on tall woodland trees so I don't spend too long up aloft. I appreciate using a new device would be a new learning curve but what device do you recommend?:confused1:

Im not the only one whos suffering the old elbows then! im following th esame line of thought fella, just picked up my spiderjack meself, shall be playing tommorow!:thumbup:

Im not the only one whos suffering the old elbows then! im following th esame line of thought fella, just picked up my spiderjack meself, shall be playing tommorow!:thumbup:

Spiderjack won't make a lot of difference to your elbows if you're already on a VT/HC. A pantin will though, makes long ascents a breeze.

A pantin with drt is good, but be warned its not particularly balanced and should be avoided for ascent, best used for short hops in the tree, best when against the trunk.

SRT and learning to throw line setting access lines will make your access life easier particularly in woodland trees, I just recently did a dead wooding contract on tall slender woodland scots pines, most were at least 15m+ to the first branch.

Climbed a 35m lime (in the uk climbing 30m trees is pretty damn rare) Q got a line in at 27m with a hand throw then 3 climbers in the top in minutes, rope over roping would of been a battle, although getting the lines in did take 20mins but worth it in the long run of your climbing career!

Nice shiny new stuff timberbear I,m a little jealous I need a gear fix soon.