Viaduct??

The Tree Hunter

we did some rock face type stuff on the railway embankments years ago, they were far more interested in nptc tickets than irata at the time...saying that though, as we were packing it in with them they were turning to irata guys to do the portholes. Lots of highly flourescent men flailing about with croppers and handsaws was apparently the way forward.

i have both nptc and irata and i would have said viaduct work could fall into both your nptc does not train or assess on any anchor that is not a tree and does not look at working and going sideways on solid structures

i would have said depends on anchor and what the job entails if its removing trees then nptc could be ok

IRATA is only rope access it does not train or cover what you do when you get there

the training course for both is the same length and i would say the assessment is comparible

Now then The Tree Hunter,

What exactly are you wanting to do ?

Alright mate, i'm not wanting to fly any planes, so thats a start!!!!!

Was more just a query really, people were talking about viaduct work and the rope access course, saying there were big opportunities in it, so was just wanting to try and find out what it all was, whats involved and whether its worth considering as an option to boost income if things get quiet!! For the moment i'm happy with getting my first lot of tickets and getting some experience under my belt.......walk before running and all that stuff!!!!!!

Alright mate, i'm not wanting to fly any planes, so thats a start!!!!!

Was more just a query really, people were talking about viaduct work and the rope access course, saying there were big opportunities in it, so was just wanting to try and find out what it all was, whats involved and whether its worth considering as an option to boost income if things get quiet!! For the moment i'm happy with getting my first lot of tickets and getting some experience under my belt.......walk before running and all that stuff!!!!!!

hi am no real expert but interested in it. ok mark wright training in sheffield is very good:

http://www.industrial-rope-access.co.uk/

He has been in the industry from the start and will give u good training and a few extra bits that I took away for tree surgery.

Big opportunities if you’re willing to travel. After the course u need to get your hours signed off by a level 3 technician. Big companies like http://www.can.ltd.uk/ get the big jobs and you gain the wider skills and get all your hours signed off, but they may pay less and may be hard to get jobs with. Also there is much work on the oil rigs, working generally 12 hours shifts for 12 days then 12 days off which is a good earner. Apart from that plenty of the work may be cleaning/sandblasting/checking and testing structure. Also interesting hard work in geotechnical stabilising rock faces etc. Also what I garther you need to build the hours quick and get your skills up. I am not sure if it the kind of job where you can just drop into it for a couple of weeks every year.

Hope this is some help, goodluck steve

Edited by stevelucocq