Do I buy a new MS460 ?

gensetsteve

"You won't like my MS460 then - I turned it into a MS460 GTi, "

complete with go-faster stripes and chrome chain catcher? :biggrin:

seriously, though, making modifications to 2-stroke engines fitted to other types of machinery (motorbikes, for example) usually ended up with a big grin factor for a blissful but brief period, followed by almost inevitable meltdown of the piston, rings, bore etc - is this not the case (or end result) with 2-stroke chainsaw mods, too?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You won't like my MS460 then - I turned it into a MS460 GTi, "

complete with go-faster stripes and chrome chain catcher? :biggrin:

seriously, though, making modifications to 2-stroke engines fitted to other types of machinery (motorbikes, for example) usually ended up with a big grin factor for a blissful but brief period, followed by almost inevitable meltdown of the piston, rings, bore etc - is this not the case (or end result) with 2-stroke chainsaw mods, too?

The twin port exhaust is standard issue for North America and Aus- so all I did was alter the tune to match to ensure it wasn't running weak, it's pulling extra power because the fuel is correct for working on full load, the 3/8-8T sprocket ensures it's under full load with a 16" bar - in fact it hardly drops any revs under working load.

By the way I started to tune bikes since say 1965 - sort of picked up a bit of experience over the years:thumbup1:

"By the way I started to tune bikes since say 1965 - sort of picked up a bit of experience over the years"

ahh, that takes me back! Bring back the RD Yamahas!:thumbup1:

Interesting stuff - its often the case that machinery sold overseas has marked differences to the same stuff sold in the UK - bikes, airguns, (chainsaws?) and the like, with increases in performance to match. Shame, really - would be nice to have a wider choice, different options (especially if you're not conversant with doing the mods yourself!)

However .... think I'll stick to my bog-standard 460 for now!

Loved the RD Yamahas but I had a 1970 T500 Suzuki from New, from memory it produed 47 hp also a Bultaco Matador 250, produed 24 hp. Which worked out at a pre tune level of 100hp/ltr, which I considered as a pre tune level. My son has a XT660 Yamaha (on condition I go on the insurance:sneaky2:) that is about 50 hp a bit under but can be upped, normally smaller engines will have a higher power ratio, so the 460 at 80cc could go up a bit - but not my old D7 BSA, never did sort that one out:thumbdown:

From looking on the mainly USA Arborist site, where the twin port is std, alot of 'red necks' talk about not 'babing their new saws' = flat out from first fill up. Although from all the pictures of siezed up saws I'm not convinced.

I brought a tacho for my saws a while ago, partly to check out the 460 when moded but also found most of my saws over reved, some are 10 yrs old and had no probs but was a bit concerned for my sons new MS200T at 15K rpm, so I had to remove all the H restrictors to up the fuel to get he max revs down to spec.

One comment from a post say 6 months ago was,' I have known alot of bike tuners damage saws', never found the answer but assumed they went for free revving:confused1:

I got side tracked and bought a Bultaco Matador 250 :biggrin: only joking not had time to sort something yet. I was ringing 3ft beech this week with the ms390 thinking I need to do something. Need to change my tom tom and get french maps as well but all new stuff now seems to be worse than the old, a product of a world recession maybe. Some stihls are bad news and some huskeys you seem to need to do research before spending to avoid a pup. You would have thought with modern tech spending £500 should buy u the bees knees.

"You would have thought with modern tech spending £500 should buy u the bees knees."

very true, but even 2nd hand, the 460s are winging their way to new owners for close to this amount (or more in some cases), and then there's the inevitable 'must buy a service kit and spares' scenario to add on. Unless its a genuine bargain, and/or you know something of the history of the saw's usage, its a bit of a lottery to go out and buy 2nd hand - unfortunately, we're not all blessed with such in-depth knowledge on the subject as Spudulike or Blazer! :001_unsure:

"You would have thought with modern tech spending £500 should buy u the bees knees."

very true, but even 2nd hand, the 460s are winging their way to new owners for close to this amount (or more in some cases), and then there's the inevitable 'must buy a service kit and spares' scenario to add on. Unless its a genuine bargain, and/or you know something of the history of the saw's usage, its a bit of a lottery to go out and buy 2nd hand - unfortunately, we're not all blessed with such in-depth knowledge on the subject as Spudulike or Blazer! :001_unsure:

Yes its a no brainer we are vat reg so get 20% back straight away then 25% of the tax bill. After this winter I have alot of arguments to pack up logs and concentrate on generators and kindling. Unless you get the wood very cheap or free or are huge into kiln drying I think its abit of a waste of time. 80% of your turnover can quickly go in cost.