Applying Kerb Granules!!

adiowl

Hi there, last autumn i started a new christmas tree plantation (4000 Nordmann Fir). I've been told to apply Kerb granules around the trees but im not sure if they have been in long enough to do this. Would it be safer to use next winter?

If its ok to put on now, wil the trees be troubled if the granules make contact with them i.e spread over the top of them or should it be spread directly onto the ground?

Lastly, i'll be planting another 2000 on march 10th, would it be wrong to apply the granules around these trees until the next cold snap?

Any info would be extremely helpful as i am a novice!!!!

Thanks Adi

This link should tell you what you need:

KERB GRANULES 7.5KGS

When I used Kerb a few years ago, I found it best to take the turf off around the trees and then spread the granules onto reasonably bare earth. I also had trouble distributing the granules evenly, but the new applicator looks like it is much better than when I did it.

It's ok to just use kerb straight after planting. don't worry about it. In winter it should cause no harm to young conifer trees. However, it's too late now to apply kerb. Best applied during frosty winter days. If you have a knapsack sprayer, use kerbflo rather than the granuals. If the weather is the slightest bit damp the pepperpot keeps blocking up and does your head in.

Be warned: do not use where run-off might be a problem, as this chemical can kill grasses quite a way from the intended area, and does follow water runoff

Kerb will only control grass,Standon roxxl would be a better bet as it controls a broader spetrum of weeds.Keep off the foliage tho as you will get die back and it will mix with round-up ect.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a window when this should be applied or can it be used all year round?

I've already put the kerb around the trees now as i'd had no replies at the time and i was getting a bit worried that i was leaving it too late!!! It says latest application end of Feb on the label.

• 1 year later...