Torque wrenches

Steve Bullman

do you tighten with a torque wrench?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. do you tighten with a torque wrench?

• yes
    • no

I've a good elbow that cracks at 150knm! then I know it will stay on.

Seriously - if a setting is prescribed, use it.

I had a huge Yorkshire rugby player labour for me, great guy, but useless on the spanners, every bolt could get sheared with a gentle "Fook, another one bust"!

I left him in the yard once with the instruction to move a container 6ft with the Matador. Got back an hour later, he'ed got it 1st and winch engaged and couldn't disengage either! He did not know what to do except sit there and sweat. I turned the engine off!

doh!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one every time. I have seen what happens when you don't and it is not pretty. I was running a big Morbark chipper for my old company when it ate one of the blades. It did quite a lot of damage.

snap-on digital:scared:

my boss just got one, we aint allowed to touch his snap-on tools tho

• 1 month later...
biggest mistake most people make on a transit is to not use a torque wrench on the rear whhel nuts ...

overtightening them using a bar or air wrench warps the drums so when you apply the brakes it feels like the arse end is vibrating loose or the pedal pulses :thumpdown:

and yep torque wrenchhappy here ( must be the years of vec mechs in me lol )

My truck been doing that for two years now i brought new front hubs bearings disks pads track rod ends the lot to stop vibration did not stop that would explain my problem the drums are **** im using a T wrench from now on on my wheels.

Funny thing really. If you do tighten by hand and there is an accident and someone gets hurt EG a chipper blade comes loose or a wheelnut comes off. Supposedly health and safety do a check and they are not torqued up properly, Can you claim they have been maintained to the manufacturer's specification and you are not liable?:tee: