Reptile fencing

Lyn Ed

I`m doing some clearance work on a proposed building site to be completed by the end of the month, birds nesting etc, i`ve been told that there is reptile fence to be put around the site, im not 100% sure wether im doing this yet, i do fencing but have never done any of this type before, anybody had any experience of it.

I`m doing some clearance work on a proposed building site to be completed by the end of the month, birds nesting etc, i`ve been told that there is reptile fence to be put around the site, im not 100% sure wether im doing this yet, i do fencing but have never done any of this type before, anybody had any experience of it.

Its a short fence about 500mm above ground level and dug into the ground to a specified depth made of plastic membrane, easy to put up.

ive worked for knighton countryside management down coed darcy on the old BP oil refinery,they were putting up newt fencing,i was doing the tree and vegatation clearance,but i did have a peek

you can go into my friends list and fined mark gibbens (one of the directors)

to get to their site or just go to the site knighton countryside management

they are dorset based and look at some pics,to get the idea

the idea was dig a trench about 1ft deep knock pegs in about 4ft apart,then nail on a plastic sheet on the pegs and in the trench,backfill trench and place a few buckekts along the fence [in the ground]newts walk along the fence and fall in the bucket...bingo

they also place some squares of mat inside the fence and the newts go under then

hope this helps abit

martyn

Nail on the head there. Essentially plastic sheeting dug into the ground and held up with small wooden posts. Easy peasy.

Interesting what your saying Martyn about the bucket every so few meters. Good idea particularly for translocation works, as long as there's no preditation issues.

Edited by R0B

Nail on the head there. Essentially plastic sheeting dug into the ground and held up with small wooden posts. Easy peasy.

Interesting what your saying Martyn about the bucket every so few meters. Good idea particularly for translocation works, as long as there's no preditation issues.

yes,then moved from bucket to a holding pond,the bucket would have a lose lid,so the newts can get in,but not the predators...:thumbup:

Nice nice will bear it in mind. Ive only done mitigation for reptiles, do you recon it works as well for them too? Guessing you will need to put your posts on the outside of the area you are surveying etc so the reptiles/amphibs walk along the smooth plastic/inside edge into the holding pots. = nice I like it.

Nice nice will bear it in mind. Ive only done mitigation for reptiles, do you recon it works as well for them too? Guessing you will need to put your posts on the outside of the area you are surveying etc so the reptiles/amphibs walk along the smooth plastic/inside edge into the holding pots. = nice I like it.

yes posts on outside,there is the plastic fencing thats just nailed to the posts,but when i worked for kcm the had a step up in quality black hard plastic fence,it also had a crease about an inch from the top of the sheet all the way along,so you could fold it in to stop any climbers getting out..:thumbup: