Tree pit knowledge anybody?

Dr.Green

been asked to do a job of remove some trees on a development site and then replant new stick elsewhere inc treepits .

apart form removal / replant which is no problem anybody got any information on treepits ??? these are for small trees ..

by the sounds of it a tree pit is just a hole (dont fancy digging with a spade) to plant them in and filled with the relivant soil mix which has been specified, or is the tree pit a contained area to stop root growth outside of an area???

thanks , any help or input whatever it may be is always usfull:thumbup1:

here is the spec

=====

TREE PITS

- Sizes: 1000 x 1000 x 600mm for selected standards.

- 1200 x 1200 x 1000mm for extra heavy standards.

- Sloping ground: Maintain horizontal bases and vertical sides with no less than

minimum depth throughout.

- Pit bottoms: With slightly raised centre. Break up to a depth of 150mm.

- Treatment: Soil ameliorant worked into pit bottoms.

- Pit sides: Scarify.

- Backfilling material: Two parts topsoil and one part tree planting and mulching

compost.

- 150 grams of SLA Enmag or similar and approved slow release fertilizer.

- 100 grams of broadleaf P4.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a danger in improving the soil in the pit too much, it encourages roots to stay in the pit rather than push out to explore, girdling worst cases.

i did think this also , but if its in the spec and i follow it and cant be held responsible , but on the other hand maybe i should advise of this when i submit my quote:001_smile:

i did think this also , but if its in the spec and i follow it and cant be held responsible , but on the other hand maybe i should advise of this when i submit my quote:001_smile:

I would want to know the soil type before making amendment specs, if your offering advice, base it on the soil dont just wing it.:thumbup1:

il keep it simple and stick to the spec - from what i believe they have given me a spec on pits and the tree species and i am the boy to do the 'dirty' work as all previous inspections and tests have been made.

one last thing , cant find any information on this

SLA ENMAG