Does the splice on your rope fit through your rope guide?

samthescam

All the people who are dissing ART rg's, have you considered the potential problems with advertising as fits all ropes upto 13 mm (except Marlow).

The problem is the size of the splice not the design of the cocoon. Marlow ropes, therein lies the problem IMO.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 13 mm splices work fine on the RG but that rope looks horrible to splice the problem here lies with the splice not the Rg.

If you are having trouble with 11mm ropes then go for an bit of iMori or poison ivy where you get the best of both worlds, a skinnier rope that feels thick in your hand. I hate super skinny ropes in the winter or when it's wet but get on fine with these slightly thicker ones

:)

All the people who are dissing ART rg's, have you considered the potential problems with advertising as fits all ropes upto 13 mm (except Marlow).

The problem is the size of the splice not the design of the cocoon. Marlow ropes, therein lies the problem IMO.

ART could cover themselves easily though, by saying "fits all ropes up to 13mm, some splices may not fit through" or something similar. Because it does fit all 13mm ropes, including Marlow. Just not all splices.

ART could cover themselves easily though, by saying "fits all ropes up to 13mm, some splices may not fit through" or something similar. Because it does fit all 13mm ropes, including Marlow. Just not all splices.

Have you considered the problems that would cause... Customers would ask if there rope would fit, they would have to have a list of approved splices, the shops would have to inspect splices... It would be a headache.

A much simpler solution is to engineer a way of opening up the cocoon to put the rope in. This would have two advantages 1) would fit all splices, 2) youd be able to attatch is midline, so install a line for someone else easily. (although I have to admit that I don't think number 2 would be any help to me.

On another note - well I tred the rg with the sjack today... lefs just say my boxers arnt white anymore. Admittedly I was using a subbies rope which didn't have a splice on, so I had to tie a bowline to attatch to the rope to the crab. This meant I couldnt use the wooden block... Not a big deal you think, but I didnt notice til I was 70 foot in the air. Getting down using just the handle a bit, and my hands has led to a phobia and rope burns.

Just to confirm. There is no way that ANY 13mm rope splice can go though this device. I've tried folding the rope in half and squeezing it really tight and even standing on it and it just won't fit. You don't have 26mm of clearance in the cocoon. By no way, even pulling and tugging, the rope cannot physically get through. It's a shame, cos this is the only thing letting it down.

And I think this is a big shame as ART claim this to be 13mm compatible. I'll still use it, and I'll buy an 11mm rope to fit it, but to claim a product is compatible when it clearly isn't is wrong. It's like you telling a customer you will thin a tree, take the cash then get there and say you can only fell it.

I bet there is a 13mm spliced eye that will fit through it :001_tt2: