Bulldog OAR ascender/descender

surveyor

Thanks Paul, for that report on your various ropes. How did you like the way it captures the rope once installed? How about its slack tending? I am surprised by the reported tightness on the Ivy as that is a very supple rope. If you require pulling two arms to descend, then try pulling and holding the first arm down, while then reaching up with a finger and gently pulling the middle arm downwards also, that should give you a smoother descent (use this technique on a doubled rope also).

Gordon

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with the performance on The Fly, I was looking forward to using it on todays job but a typhoon zooming over the south of Japan has postponed it.

The OAR is very easy to install and once installed completely secures the rope inside it. There is no way that it could be shaken off the rope. When body weight is applied the OAR misaligns causing the steel bars to lift and forcing a slight bend in the rope. The rollers are positioned on the other side of the rope to the steel bars. Changing the roller size in theory means that smaller or larger rope diameter can be used. As Gordon explained, adding more ARMS or RACKS will aid in adding friction too.

The way that the bottom bar acts to release enough hold and cause descent is akin to the feeling of a hitch. This is really unique in a mechanical tool. Using two bars is less intuitive.

Gordon, when the 3/4 is ready I'll happily buy it!

I have a few out there given as gifts or favors, with very good feedback to date. Here is one user who tells me he loves his Dogbone RW. You can see it briefly in action about the 2:40 mark and then later towards the end of the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0MfhNlEC18&feature=g-user-u]Maple Prune-Deadwood - YouTube[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...