Conifer tree roots

Hedge-hogs

Question

Hi this is a question i had fron a custoner

Hi there I have a a row of large conifers about 5 foot away from my house, if these were to be cut down to the ground, would the roots cause more damage to the pathways, house etc when rooting down than if the were to stay their.

So is it best to cut the trees down to ground level or just topped ? As the ground is clay

I would of thought cutting them down wouldn't cause to much trouble compared to if they just let them grow bigger or if they were to cut them in half

Please let me no your thoughts the tree s are the Same height as the house so quite big

If the trees died naturally would the soil expand and ''possibly'' damage the driveway? if you leave the trees will they damage the driveway? speaking as a person who has carried out lots of subsidence reports, I would recommend remove the trees, but I couldn't guarantee 100% no damage to your property would occur, its a game of eliminating the biggest rick, which to me would be leaving the trees up.............

I think if we all did that, none of us would do a days domestic work...

Looked at a scotty pine a coulpe of weeks ago, neighbour was say his drive was lifting and garage was too. Told customer to ring his insurance company to find out if it was allright to fell the tree, he said no problem as he was a Loss Ajuster and said it was the best advice to give people with the same problem:001_tt2:

Looked at a scotty pine a coulpe of weeks ago, neighbour was say his drive was lifting and garage was too. Told customer to ring his insurance company to find out if it was allright to fell the tree, he said no problem as he was a Loss Ajuster and said it was the best advice to give people with the same problem:001_tt2:

Have you ever looked at an NHBC planting guide [distances in relation to buildings] :001_smile:

Yes that was the question he asked me if I cut the conifers to the ground would the roots cause damage during or after the rotting process

Conifer roots will not regenerate or throw up new growth after the tree has been cut down. They will not therefore cause any direct damage after the tree has been felled.

Depending on the clay content, it is possible that the soil around the trees, under the foundations and paving slabs may become wetter after the trees are gone (because the trees are no longer removing water from the soil). This can cause the soil to swell and lift - a phenomenon commonly known as 'heave'.

Heave is generally only a problem if the trees are older than the house and the house foundations are too shallow - a relatively uncommon combination these days.

Hope that helps.

I have in the past , contacted my local planning office and asked for information regarding the type and depth of foundations on an iffy tree/property [newish property] they had all the info on record. I think most houses built in the last 15 years or so will have info held on them.