Climbing a Lombardy Poplar

Steve_C

Thanks for all the replies guys. Great tips and I take your point regarding pegs Marc. Will trust my spikes and stay on the stem! jobs on thurs so will try and get a pic or two and let you know how it went.

Cheers all

Steve

hey mate!

I have done a few here in NZ.

They are strong wood, but branches snap off easy. Especially lombardy. With a sharp 020, you can spare cut it super well on your way up, landing close to the base. They respond quick to cuts. Super easy to spike up.

They spike great ....and are usually one of the easiest tree's to work but I would not trust any thing under 5" though As live growth is brittle but a 3 " the dead wood peg can be amazingly strong !! If your going to rig it and it's already been topped before do not anchore or strop off the same stem or if possible any where near it... They rot real bad and have had one tear out a 40 section of tree and miraculously fill an entire garden but missing the green house ect by inches... Just thought I'd tell you that to fill you with confidence!

Don't trust the little branches and be gentle, they're very brittle 2@ inch branches can easily be snapped with one hand. Make sure your groundies know how to run the ropes well letting pieces run nicely and so on.

on the plus side the wood is very light so you can cut and chuck huge sections.

Update: Everything said here helped and rang true. As a result the Job went well, days wage for two of us and home by 3.30.

I am normally passive member of this site and learn loads as I read, not to mention laughing out loud at some of the banter, so thanks for the quick replies to a direct question.

Cheers Lads.

Steve