Poplar Takedown, First time rigging!

Ollie Wall

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Pollarded about 25 years ago =, with about 30ft of re growth and a nice rotten trunk!"

= MEWP.

Looks like a restricted site and hence could be access problems and maybe not a lot of money on the job BUT, AND whilst acknowledging many have and still do, that species + that previous management + THAT defect + additional loading...

PLEASE 'take BL**DY care' out there..!

Paul

"Pollarded about 25 years ago =, with about 30ft of re growth and a nice rotten trunk!"

= MEWP.

Looks like a restricted site and hence could be access problems and maybe not a lot of money on the job BUT, AND whilst acknowledging many have and still do, that species + that previous management + THAT defect + additional loading...

PLEASE 'take BL**DY care' out there..!

Paul

For that little tree? Are you serious?

They would price themselves right out of the job for sure! If it wasn't safe to climb I would have felled it. If people let their trees get that bad then a little collateral damage has to be accepted :lol:

For that little tree? Are you serious?

They would price themselves right out of the job for sure! If it wasn't safe to climb I would have felled it. If people let their trees get that bad then a little collateral damage has to be accepted :lol:

Yep, size is a consideration but I reckon that's big enough for things to go wrong and then try to defend the HSE investigation / prosecution, who of course have the benefit of 'hind-sight'...and they use it. Still, of more concern is the injured party, and possibly worse.

I'll be honest I shuddered when I saw the state of that stem...maybe I'm just getting old!

As you say "if it wasn't safe to climb then fell it and accept some damage", trouble is the parameters for that approach vary greatly and often, IMHO, the felling skills to deliver.

What I'm really trying to promote here, alongside the benefits of using MEWPS (AND considering the additional expense, so 'work planning' is everything as the more days you hire a MEWP, generally, the cheaper and more cost viable it gets so bunch jobs together) is a more 'compliant', and hopefully safer, approach to working at height rather than being critical of the specifics of this particular case.

Thanks for posting Ollie.

Paul

Yep, size is a consideration but I reckon that's big enough for things to go wrong and then try to defend the HSE investigation / prosecution, who of course have the benefit of 'hind-sight'...and they use it. Still, of more concern is the injured party, and possibly worse.

I'll be honest I shuddered when I saw the state of that stem...maybe I'm just getting old!

As you say "if it wasn't safe to climb then fell it and accept some damage", trouble is the parameters for that approach vary greatly and often, IMHO, the felling skills to deliver.

What I'm really trying to promote here, alongside the benefits of using MEWPS (AND considering the additional expense, so 'work planning' is everything as the more days you hire a MEWP, generally, the cheaper and more cost viable it gets so bunch jobs together) is a more 'compliant', and hopefully safer, approach to working at height rather than being critical of the specifics of this particular case.

Thanks for posting Ollie.

Paul

I did consider the use of a MEWP, but decided with the opinion of other more experienced arbs that the tree was safe to clib and rig from. the stem it self did have a cavity of rot inside however the unions of the pollard were sound and there was no evidence of rot in or around the top of the main stem. We also factored in that the force of the rigging would be distributed between the two stems thus reducing slightly the forces going through the main stem. Thanks for you concern and in the future if access allowed a MEWP may have been a better option, but with this perticular job I decided it wasn't nessesary.

Thanks for the feedback Ollie

not sure bout this one i wouldn't use any lowering kit handheld dismantle with couple of slings. lowering this is too slow got money to earn chap. x

I did hand held most of the stem, but for the top i lowered because it overhung a garage on one side and a greenhouse on the other. :001_smile:

not sure bout this one i wouldn't use any lowering kit handheld dismantle with couple of slings. lowering this is too slow got money to earn chap. x

From what i could see i would not have any worries about rigging this poplar there appeared to be significant woundwood formation either side of the stem cavity and as long as there was no significant root decay i would rig, but as always keep the dynamic loading to a minimum ie 'let it run'. Personally i love Poplars, they grow fast and big , often in the wrong place and i really enjoy dismantling them. :thumbup1: