Base anchor

DrewB

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This presumably is SRT & lets you set your climbing line in the same way as DdRT..?

I have thought of installing something like this for DdRT for the purpose of lowering a climber which has 'ceased to function', but with a pulley set on the line at the top, opposite side of the anchor, with the climbing line running though the pulley so that if all goes fubar the whole anchor can be lowered from the ground without having to perform aerial rescue...

Obviously it would only work if there there are no other lanyards attached to said climber, which is unlikely, as I would have thought that if you end up unconscious it's having been clobbered by something you cut off so there is going to be work positioning involved... so I've never actually bothered to try it....:001_huh:

I saw that pic on your Facebook Page and I was going to ask about that ring that connects the two ends of the line. Why did you use it? Couldn't you have just tied the two ends together and done away with the ring all together? Do the knots just untie easier with the ring?

Yep the ring is just to enable the knots to come undone nice and easy. Could use a zeppelin bend in place of.

Yes Steve, we're are doing an avenue of 35m+ plane trees at the moment and it's just easier to base tie and not isolate the throw line, the base anchor only takes 2 mins to install so is a worthwhile thing to do in this case.An yep you could climb srt or dbrt off it.

I've been thinking about base anchors recently and wondered what everyone's thoughts are on using a whoopie sling with a flying capstan?

That would work but it's a waste of a capstan when a fig 8 works just as well. Whopie slings good, must get round to ordering some more gear to make one up!