Lawnmower won't start

mikecotterill

Just noticed that you have sold it. Before doing as in my previous post, try this.

Tip out the old fuel and put in fresh. Make sure its at least 25 mm deep, if its only about 12mm the suction pipe from the carb does not reach the fuel.

Remove the air filter and look into the carb as you pump the primer. You should see petrol squirt into the inlet manifold. If not drop a few drops straight into the carb. Hold up the OPC lever and pull the rope. It should start, but will probably stop immediately unless you squirt a bit more petrol in . The fresh, solvent rich, petrol MIGHT wash out the gum from the carb and eventually it MIGHT run after a fashion.

It will almost certainly need doing properly to get it running smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Fuels getting in there cos after I'd given up trying I took the plug out and it was wet. I'll try some new fuel. It's an odd mower there's no throttle either. Cheers guys

No there is no adjustable throttle, its very common on the cheap steel deck mowers.

The linkage is all there for a throttle cable (at the front of the carb) but the revs are set at full 2800 and then the arm with a sort of triangular shape (you thought it was a choke) is bent down against the side of the tank to stop it moving.

A lot of people unbend it and try to use it as a throttle,but it does not help.

Fine adjustment of speed is done by bending the small tag to which the longer governor spring is attached. bending it forward and stretching the spring gives more revs.