Cs32 nightmare...

Guest webbedfootfenman

Guest webbedfootfenman

Cheers for the advice fellas, I've got a big lump of ash I was going to use for a chopping block so think I'll sacrifice that and practice my felling cut over the weekend...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest webbedfootfenman

Although I'm over the moon at passing, I still think it was really bad form on the part of the instructor to put me in for an assessment after only felling 4 trees throughout the entire course, and when i raised my concerns with him he just said "ive told you everything im supposed to, the test is your problem" I had to fell a large pine which was leaning heavely forward using the dog tooth cut and get it hung up, The instructor only ever showed me how to do a dog tooth cut in the lantra book, and i watched some videos of the cut being used on youtube, that was the first time I've ever done one myself, and that was on my test, luckily it went well and I pulled it off first time, but it's not on really tho is it??

The course and test is only the start of things anyway, the real learning will come with time and working with experienced people.

When I did mine we got through 30 to 33 in 4 days with the assessment on Friday.... we smashed down half of Eastnor....

It's far better to set out with your shiny ticket appreciating that you don't know it all as you are, rather than thinking you're 'Thor, destroyer of trees through all the ages', just because the NPTC says you can cut down a couple of carefully chosen beauties.......

Well done on passing though.... keep going!

Guest webbedfootfenman
The course and test is only the start of things anyway, the real learning will come with time and working with experienced people.

When I did mine we got through 30 to 33 in 4 days with the assessment on Friday.... we smashed down half of Eastnor....

It's far better to set out with your shiny ticket appreciating that you don't know it all as you are, rather than thinking you're 'Thor, destroyer of trees through all the ages', just because the NPTC says you can cut down a couple of carefully chosen beauties.......

Well done on passing though.... keep going!

This is true... :thumbup1:

So now got one day left of cs32 training, and have to admit I'm not feeling confident at all about test day, I've got one day left, there's 4 of us that are working in pairs and thus far today we felled 2 trees!! Between the 4 of us, which brings our grand total up to 3 trees, im yet to do a tree start to finish, Does this seem right? The instructor learns us by me doing one half of the gob and my mate doing the other half and so on and so on, then we all stand around the stump and talk about all that's wrong with it, we spent the whole afternoon rolling the second tree of the day out of a hang up with all 4 of us doing each little part of a letterbox cut, this method of learning is driving me mad!! I really just want to get on with it and fell a tree start to finish myself then be told where I've gone wrong so I know what I need to work on, I'm not learning at all, to be honest I'm fuming because i really don't feel like I'm any further forward than day one, and I know in myself I'm not ready for assement, I work on the rivers cutting small willows growing out of the bank or trees that have fallen in and cause blockages and haven't felled a tree since my cs31 course 4years ago, so I need all the help I can get, sorry for the rant guys just thought I might find a more sympathetic ear here than my wife who just looks at me blankly and says your watching the kids tonight... :001_huh:

A long time ago when I was first getting into training a certain instructor gave me some strong advice to use on courses (thank you Mr Consalvey) never tell someone where they have gone wrong or tell them they have gone wrong as this just destroys the soul. The correct approach in his eyes was to say "how could we do this different or is there another way to do this".

Sounds a pretty strange dude the instructor you have had and if you werent happy i would certainly pass on your thoughts to the provider of training.

Plus side mate well done and has been said already now you have the ticket learn and learn some more the ticket is only the start.